seat foam diy ?

Got questions? We got answers....
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

seat foam diy ?

Post by ohgood »

I'm stacking up yoga mat and gluing it with rubber cement this afternoon to make a tall seat for my kdx. I'm hoPing it will be similar the the current trend of FLAT dirt bike seats, plus narrow and comfortable.

do I need to sandwich anything in between for support, or use a more dense product to keep it from being too soft?

I can handle the shaping, just not sure if I need something denser.

thanks!
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: seat foam diy ?

Post by IDRIDR »

Can't answer your question, but I've read about others using firm/dense carpet pad and being very happy with it.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

in all honesty your beating a dead horse here.

Ive made tons of atv and other seats/cushions auto and let me tell you that glue will let you down. Best bet is to use a solid piece of foam of sorts and sort it out shaping wise.

In the long run why don't you just go with a newer seat cover with new foam? with the step up? I had it on mine and it sucks balls trail riding due to wanting to slide back further when called for. I could see it working good for flat track tho. Stops ya and gives you some grit. You could always shape it better to your liking and just get tighter with the cover.

Your gonna hate when that glue releases and you shift to the side on a good jolt. Ive tried weight lifting mats and all kinds of material and stacking/glue. In the long run a solid piece to start off with is what you want.

Hobby shops and the like carry a bunch and if your really in the clink go visit a car interior shop they usually have a lot in stock and most often the cut offs are almost perfect for a kdx seat.

food for thought hope it helps.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

ICRage42 wrote:in all honesty your beating a dead horse here.

Ive made tons of atv and other seats/cushions auto and let me tell you that glue will let you down. Best bet is to use a solid piece of foam of sorts and sort it out shaping wise.

In the long run why don't you just go with a newer seat cover with new foam? with the step up? I had it on mine and it sucks balls trail riding due to wanting to slide back further when called for. I could see it working good for flat track tho. Stops ya and gives you some grit. You could always shape it better to your liking and just get tighter with the cover.

Your gonna hate when that glue releases and you shift to the side on a good jolt. Ive tried weight lifting mats and all kinds of material and stacking/glue. In the long run a solid piece to start off with is what you want.

Hobby shops and the like carry a bunch and if your really in the clink go visit a car interior shop they usually have a lot in stock and most often the cut offs are almost perfect for a kdx seat.

food for thought hope it helps.
that's excellent advice. I'll hit the upholstery shop tomorrow. thanks for setting me right
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

I put extra foam on mine and made my own seat cover since it was then higher. That bike could be ridden all day! One of the best mods I did to it.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

well foam was ridiculously expensive, so I pulled out my old DRZ seat and used the foam from it. So far I'm very pleased to the comfort of this seat [emoji3] but it does have a layer of yoga mat over the stock drz foam [emoji12]

Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Hmmmmm, I might try this as well. I would have thought epoxy or silicone would have worked just as well. But a foam shop (furniture) has a bunch of different densities and heights which can be used. But I've kind of gotten used to the banana shaped seat now.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

A thin film of 'liquid nails' adhesive between those foam layers and you'd have to use a laser to get them back apart.
2002 KDX 200