kips not working?

Got questions? We got answers....
superman27e

kips not working?

Post by superman27e »

I just put in a new top end and cleaned the Kips. I've never messed with the Kips before, but between google and my service book, it wasn't too bad. I was aware of the service book mistake about left and right valves, so I know that's not the problem.

I took the round cover off and revved it, but it didn't move at all.

I don't know if this could cause it, but the valve stop screw broke at the head, but there was still a good 1/4 inch on the screw, so I put the spring and ball in and tightened it up. Could I have over tightened it and forced the ball too hard against it causing it not to open?
superman27e

kips not working?

Post by superman27e »

I took the valve stop screw, spring and ball out and now it obviously opens, but doesn't close.

I'm gonna go to my hardware store and see if they have a hollow screw that matches.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: kips not working?

Post by IDRIDR »

Good luck finding that screw. I also broke one!
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

It will have to be one heck of a hardware store to carry a hollow metric screw like that.

Haven't some people taken that out and preferred how the engine runs? Or am I thinking of something else?
superman27e

kips not working?

Post by superman27e »

Yea, no luck. I'll just order the screw and ball. It does run a lot better with the new top end, though :)
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

Can you buy a bolt and slowly drill it out? Start out with a small bit, and keep getting bigger. Use drilling oil.
Adamnb1

kips not working?

Post by Adamnb1 »

Without the two washers (which you obviously didn't have installed because there was no head on your bolt), enough pressure was on the detent ball that your valve was unable to open. I broke my hollow bolt as well, and ordered 3 from partzilla. I run mine without the spring and ball.. works well for me.

Now you say "it opens but will not close". It may be due to my state of extreme fatigue.. but I'm confused. If you rev it and the exhaust advancer opens your valve, the spring in the exhaust advancer will then close it when your rpm drops. I'm missing something, obviously
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

The head broke off, but there was still a little thread left with the head. But yea, I didn't have the 2 washers on because there wasn't enough room and the little bit of thread still attached to the head wouldn't catch with the washers on. I kind of figured it would put too much pressure on the valve without the washers, but I gave it a try anyways :P I ordered the parts from partszilla. Never knew about that place until this thread. :P