Chain and Sprokets.

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Chain and Sprokets.

Post by jafo »

Well another question. This is about chains and sprokets.

First, what chain does a majority of you all run? What is the best chain to go with? "O"ring chain other? What brand and model is the better chain?

How about sproket combos? Brands? Who makes the better sprokets?

Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think any high quality name brand will do. You get what you pay for in my experience.

By the way, I am collecting DID X-Ring chains and Renthal sprockets for a special needy child this holiday season. If you would like to donate to me, I MEAN HIM, please let me know. :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fulltiltboogie »

I have found the Renthal chains to stretch the least. O Ring is just fine instead of the X Rings. Steel sprockets last a gazillion times longer than alum and they cost much less. Check out Sunstars Z sprocket.
JD

Post by JD »

I've been torturing a Z sprocket and RK X-ring chain in the New England mud all year long (have pics in the gallery of the Z). Combo has held up great. Absolutely no comparison to the stock setup that I burned through in a few weeks. I will definately go with another Z and RK combo when replacement time comes around.
'04 200
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

My stocker setup has worn pretty well on my bike. It may have to do with terrain and soil types? You got alot of sand in your mud back East don't you? Thats chew up sprokets pretty readily. How about the Tri-Metal Sprokets? They're high dollar but you think they'd be worth it?

What's the difference between an X-ring chain and an O-ring chain?

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I just bought one of those X-Ring Primary Drive chains from RockyMountainMC for $55. Sounds like a great deal to me...and they are all gold.

X-Ring is supposed to hold the lube better, wear better, keep out dirt better and be narrower for the chain block.

We will see! :mrgreen:

Still gotta get a 49T Z-Sprocket to go with it...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

I'm running a Titex aluminum rear, Sunstar front, and RK O-ring. Holding up just great. Been on for over a year and I've only adjusted the chain 2-3 times. The sprocket's looking good and I'm about ready to flip the front.

I use Maxima chain wax instead of lube and it works great for me- doesn't build up junk.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

To be fair to the o-ring chains... my current KDX is running a 0-ring and Talon Alum rear sprocket and are still almost like new. Very little adjustment has had to be done to it in over a year. They are going on the spare bike and should hold up for a few years to come I think.

The only reason i am trying the x-ring is because i have heard very good things about them... otherwise I was going to go back to the standard chain... I really don't mind the maintenance... the bike just rolls easier because there is less resistance.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I run Renthal sprockets and a non o-ring chain. I adjusted it after it's first hard ride and haven't touched it since. It is also (bling-bling) gold.