Screw it - full blown resto

Got questions? We got answers....
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

Well, what started as fixing a couple of O-rings in the header pipe and a compression test, has turned into finding a broken main shaft valve gear in the kips, RTV sealant used soley for the head and cylinder/base gasket, a semi-scored piston....thus me pulling the motor and flushing the cases. Chances are RTV got into the water passages, etc....

Research tells me to flush the cases with premix, dump, repeat....

I have a new-ish jug with kips assembly and piston coming, new gaskets throughout. I'm gonna replace all cooling hoses and fuel lines, and vent lines and anything else made out of rubber.

I'll check the swingarm bearings and probably replace them, most likely originals.

I'll read up on how to check the con-rod for spec. I do not want to split the cases and I don't think I should need to.

I'm taking it down to the bare frame. Tips on painting, powder coating?

Any other areas I should focus on? Not much to these bikes...'03 200.

Great site and thanks all for the info....now somebody please turn on my PM's!!! :cool:

JasonK94Z

Re: Screw it - full blown resto

Post by JasonK94Z »

Check the wheel bearings.
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
flynbryan

Post by flynbryan »

Pretty much assume all suspension/wheel bearings are shot. If they didn't take the time/effort to put a simple set of gaskets in it I'm certain they never bothered to regrease any of the bearings. Oh and say a prayer before you drive out that swingarm pivto bolt that it isn't seized.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"full blown resto" and " not split the cases" does not go together. :lol:

My main advice is buy all the pretty plastic at the very end. I wish I had a dollar for every guy / kid who bought the easy to do stuff first instead of last, then found out some medium or major problem to solve.

You may want to budget some money toward a suspension rebuild, as the parts are 12 years old.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

Jason wrote:"full blown resto" and " not split the cases" does not go together. :lol:

My main advice is buy all the pretty plastic at the very end. I wish I had a dollar for every guy / kid who bought the easy to do stuff first instead of last, then found out some medium or major problem to solve.

You may want to budget some money toward a suspension rebuild, as the parts are 12 years old.
Right on. It already had brand new plastics and lights. The PO apparently made it purty instead of fixing the issues.

Since I've been roadracing sportbikes for over 20 yrs, I fully understand the importance of suspension. I have Penske triples on the rear of all my GSXR's, and fully worked front suspensioin with Ohlins 20 and 25 mil kits, GP Suspension kits, and I even have a $2500 set of Ak-GAS forks on my GSXR 1000.

Motors are all stock on my racebikes. Only exhaust and filters.

Building sportbikes (mainly GSXR's, since that's all I've owned since '92) is my main hobby especially during this time of year. I have so many parts, I build them from the ground up.
This KDX is my lst dirty bike ever. So I'm just looking to get it fully functional and in good riding condition.
I plan on putting it back together and riding it at least once, (since I haven't even rode it yet) and then do the suspension.

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Steering head bearing are most likely shot. I just did a rebuild of my 93, all bearings where replaced.

Also do the water pump while you've got it apart.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

6 Riders wrote:Steering head bearing are most likely shot. I just did a rebuild of my 93, all bearings where replaced.

Also do the water pump while you've got it apart.
Is there a water pump rebuild kit out there? Looks like there are several seals and O-rings involved.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I just ordered teh individual OEM parts. I have, in the past, ordered a Windaroso (sp) oil seal kit. It had the water pump seals in it, but that was an E series.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congrats on all the street bikes. Riding it is a great way to figure out what else it needs.

Good luck.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Woah! That's a nicely stocked garage! Good luck on the rebuild.
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Must be a wise fellow, I too am a gixxer nut and own a kdx220 haha!! Have only two gixxer 600's tho lol
Where you located?
Eric Walls

Post by Eric Walls »

Yeah, where are you located? I'm in Ohio myself and if you local--ish I could really use some help getting my 03 KDX "up to snuff" an it appears you have much more general motorcycle knowledge then I do
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

Hey guys, in the Cincinnati area.

Well, bike is ready for reassembly.

-Like new top end (pro x piston) included jug
-new FMF power core 2 (PC header)
-V-force 3 reed assembly
-gaskets throughout engine except crankcases.
-new spark plug
-new water pump seals/o-rings
-new cooling hoses, vent lines, fuel lines
-new 12t front sprocket (chain/rear new-ish)
-carburetor cleaned
-new uni filter - twin
-new shock, swingarm, dog bones, wheel bearings (haven't done the front yet)
-new IMS shifter
-new MSR levers

I've de-grimed the frame, airbox disassembled and cleaned, sanded clean all suspension bolts and nuts/motor mounts.

I need tires. Head bearings seem fine. I don't want to do break the bike down anymore. I'm in reassembly stage and just wanna get it up and running.

Not bad for a 5 day resto with a bike I've had less than 2 wks. A lot of parts ordering for sure.

Notice the special tool in the swingarm pic.
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

I'm guessing the tool is suppose to be a BFH since this is swing arm/rusted/seized bearing area?
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

G22inSC wrote:I'm guessing the tool is suppose to be a BFH since this is swing arm/rusted/seized bearing area?
Yup. I'm pretty sure this bike had all original bearings. Some heat, a vise, and BFH did the trick.

Getting that upper shock bushing was a PITA. Getting the new one in was even tougher.

The real problem I had was with the lower shock bearing, the smallest on the dog bone. The current bearing didn't seem bad, but I had 2 sets so I decided to put in new.

First was a Pivot works. The old came out fine. Had the new bearing in the freezer....heated up the dog bone, pressed bearing in with vise...all good. Then, when I was greasing the bearing, the needles started to crumble out.
No apparent signs of damage to the bearing.

Pressed the Pivot works back out...next was round 2 with the All Balls bearing. Exact same thing happened.

So, out with the All Balls and I put the original back in. Go figure.

It'll be running tomorrow.....I hope. :razz:
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

I've had the roller bearings pop out when greasing. Not all that uncommon as they really just lay in there - it's why they are shipped with a plastic sleeve inside them. I simply pop them back in, grease a bit more carefully and install.

By the way, very nice an speedy work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

Sullyfam wrote:I've had the roller bearings pop out when greasing. Not all that uncommon as they really just lay in there - it's why they are shipped with a plastic sleeve inside them. I simply pop them back in, grease a bit more carefully and install.

By the way, very nice an speedy work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well hell, I thought the bearing casing had been compromised so I threw the pieces in a Ziploc with all the old bearings.

And yea, I've been in and out of the garage all week from 7am to at least 7pm. Some breaks here and there, waiting on parts, etc... De-griming this bike from top to bottom was more work than anything
I was layed off this week temporarily. 5" of snow and a cold blast shut us down. I'm in the concrete construction biz.
I go back Monday so I'm in a rush to get this thing going. Supposed to rain all weekend now though.
kdxoldrob
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxoldrob »

looking good there man. you should be up and running in no time. those bearings? just put some grease in the race and stick the needles back in. while you got it apart, pop off the wheel bearings seals and check them for grease, will probably find rust..lol. and your lucky, this last kdx i bought to restore and sell had a stuck swingarm bolt. it appears that the previous owner musta used to much grease? :butthead: and i bout didnt get that thing out. that was a real pita. looks like you got it under control!! :supz:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Keep up the good work!
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

Jason wrote:Keep up the good work!
Thanks man.

It's getting close.

Ran to a local dealer and bought some Sedonas....I know I know. Research tells me they're not all bad especially for a squid like me. They're round and black, should work fine for my rookie debut.

Found a small issue or two. Discovered that the trip meter did have a seal, so my new wheel bearing seems unsecure for now. Overnighted one...$40. Overnight shipping is killing me on this, but that was the only way I could have done it in a week.

Also don't like the way the countershaft sprocket retainer clip is holding. Ordering another one.

Bike only fell over once while on the bucket. I just left the bike lay there to put the front wheel on. :shock:

I don't have anywhere to break the top end in except for a somewhat rural road. I'm dying to start it up at least.

Will it hurt to start it just for a second before I attempt any type of break in procedure?