Got questions? We got answers....
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Screw it - full blown resto

Post by motoracerx »

It's aliiiiiiiiiive....

Fresh gas, coolant, oil....check. All connections, check. Contact. lol

Fired up on 3 rd kick. And purred like a kitten, for 10 secs then I shut it off.

So many theories on break in. Fredette got a theory on KDX break-ins?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Screw it - full blown resto

Post by 6 Riders »

Just heat cycle it a couple times.....Don't shut it off cold again. Then go rip!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

6 Riders wrote:Just heat cycle it a couple times.....Don't shut it off cold again. Then go rip!
That's more my style!

Got it all together. Started it a bit ago, lst kick. Purring like a kitten. Took it out on the road, seems perfectly fine.
The cylinder and pro x piston I put on it was like new, only an hour or 2 of run time. So I was told that the break in for this top end isn't as critical as it would be for a brand new top end.

One question, if your new and newly oiled twin uni filter is dripping oil out the bottom of the airbox, is that a bad thing? Is over oiling a bad thing?

G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

If the filter is that over oiled you will pull oil through the filter into the carb boot and eventually the carb itself.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

G22inSC wrote:If the filter is that over oiled you will pull oil through the filter into the carb boot and eventually the carb itself.
I watched the video by the 'Uni-filter' people themselves, and they oiled it enough to where they were ringing out the excess oil of which I did too.

The bike will be sitting for the next several weeks, maybe the filter will drip itself within specs. :grin:
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Not quite the same concept as a k&n on a FI engine, they oil the bajeezus outta them to catch all the dust and its not gunna gum up a maf sensor cuz there ain't one haha, little bit of carb clean when you notice it starting to act differently and you're fine. My UNI did the same no issues, no toil filters use a tacky oil but still has a minor ooze. It will burn off whatever gets sucked thru.

Hearing your guys' stories of bearings seized in isnt making me feel any better about my springtime refurb :please:
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

BlackMist wrote: Hearing your guys' stories of bearings seized in isnt making me feel any better about my springtime refurb :please:
Bearings weren't that bad, but I didn't have any that were completely seized.

Use heat to get them out and when installing. Freeze the bearings for 15 mins or so before install.

I used the vise and socket method. Some good videos on youtube with tips and tricks.
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

I always end up with the bad luck on my vehicles but customers or friends... Np everything goes smoothly lol and given that the p/o did nothing to the bike I get nervous haha