Hybrid or fork conversion

Got questions? We got answers....
bossmans kid

Post by bossmans kid »

My kid will be on a 98 KDX 220 next summer. He is a little short for the bike right now, 5'2" and 105 lbs. I have the tools and ability to do a KDX/KX hybrid which sounds like a lot of fun to build. Looking at the reviews on the hybrid bikes they sound like a lot of fun. I'm just not sure if he would benefit from it. He is a beginner to intermediate rider. We ride a lot of atv trails and every now and then some single track. I enjoy the nasty single track in the rocky mountains and will introduce him to that type of riding soon. I have also looked into the KLX fork conversion. Sounds like an easy way to improve the handling of the KDX, but is the hybrid a better idea? My third option is to leave his bike alone and build a hybrid for me. let me know your thoughts, thanks.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Hybrid or fork conversion

Post by Sullyfam »

It's no doubt an upgrade, but one your son will not likely require. My son has no complaints and I would say he is a solid C rider. I have even raced his bike at a few enduros (B class) and the bike was manageable. We ride single track to wide open trails with plenty of rock, roots and whoops. All that said, I also have been looking at converting the fork, but it's certainly not because I think the stock suspension is somehow holding my son back. It's because I just wanna and there is no shame in that! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The way I see it is that a hybrid starts with a donor frame. A KX125 is a great choice. I'd get the boy a good running KX125 and work out all the suspension and ergonomic issues. When the disadvantages of the KX125 motor become apparent and the disadvantages of the KDX chassis become apparent, a hybrid is the obvious solution.
Who knows, you may decide the KX125 is the bike for you. They are fun bikes.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

If your son is 5'2/105 and riding at beginner/intermediate level, the stock chassis is best for him. Better than a hybrid, and probably pretty well matched without any fork conversion.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

The H model KDX chassis is very, very good with a well-dialed fork conversion. The perimeter frame with USD forks gives the tightest handling package I have ever experienced. For tighter trail and course work it is superior to a hybrid IMO (due to KX longer wheelbase). I own and have owned lots of different bikes, mx, enduro, etc. and currently own both a KDX220 and a '14 TE250 (KTM 250 exc with linkage rear). The KDX chassis is second to none - but has a shorter wheelbase than any other I've owned - so, if tighter courses go KDX + USD's, more open courses, go hybrid. :partyman:

As others have said, for your son... stock forks should be OK, but if he advances you can upgrade. The stock forks do not provide the accurate steering and ride feedback USD's do.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

I have a hybrid and a KDX sitting in my garage. I love both, ride both, and the only similarity between the two is the engine. Straight up, the hybrid takes WAY more energy to ride. 8 hours on that thing and I'm spent. I could ride a KDX for days on end. Either way you can't go wrong, but it really depends on what you want to do. For the single track I'll take a KDX. For wider trails like ATV, the hybrid. The KDX is much more forgiving IMO.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
jerry malbeck

Post by jerry malbeck »

My son 15 years old 130 LBS riding a semi stock 2002 KDX , We set up the rear shock with the proper spring and set the sag did nothing but a little tuning to the front forks and he is able to keep up with all us older guys , In fact we are starting to have a hard time keeping ahead of him, We are riding woods as well as wide open sage brush country with alot of sand and up and down stuff. The stock 220 Forks were from the factory set up for a 130 LB rider while the rear shock was set for a 170 Lb rider so if you just dial in the rear it will most likely be perfect for him . I wouldnt go hybred until down the road , Not near as easy to ride with the MX suspension and you lose the bigger fuel tank as well . You tube juniper jockeys and you can see some of Jareds videos . Awesome your spending quality time on a M/C with your son .If you watch the video (HIGHER) keep in mind this was last year the guys in front of him are on 450's Now he is up in the front of the pack all the time and has only been riding 2 years, He is the one filming, Yeah im pretty proud of him, The kid is fast .
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

I thought I wanted a hybrid and was goimg to build one. When I got the chance to ride a well set up one I really liked it but not enough to build one. Other than the fork conversion the one thing that made more of a difference in the handling especialy at high speeds through deep whoops and such was putting a showa rear shock from 01 Rm 250 on the back. It is pretty much bolt on but needs to be shortend 1 inch. It is unbeleivable how much better the rear eng is. I know the stock rear shock is good but the added circuit in the showa shock with revalve really made the Kdx so much more stable especially at high speed. I can go through rough high speed section that would make you pucker a little that now are very uneventful. I am in no way saying dont build a Hybrid , I wish Kawi would market such a bike I am just saying you can get very close besides ergonomics and still keep an easy to ride bike at the same time. By the way if doing the fork conversion 96-97 rm conventional tc forks are as easy as a kx swap and you wll have some the best woods forks ever made
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Tell me more about the RM shock. Any modification at all other than the length? I'm curious as I have my entire suspension laying on the workbench fixing to be delivered for a respring and revalve.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

revalve for woods or riding style and washer , spacer on top mount . Rm showa shock is jst a tiny bit narrower at the top and shorten 1 inch which can be done during revalve. Biggest thing is the showa shock is 1 inch longer. I know some people have put a kx shock on the back and it is to long also. I think the showa is a better shock and it has a high speed circuit in it. This shock really mackes the back end track alot better especialy in the woops. Much better than a good set up stock shock
bossmans kid

Post by bossmans kid »

I appreciate all the suggestions. I think I will keep the bike stock except for some minor suspension work to make the bike suitable for his weight and riding style. Might build one for myself though.