dont shift stuck in 1st gear , slag in kickstart

Got questions? We got answers....
lucero.95.kdx200

Post by lucero.95.kdx200 »

I have a 1995 kdx200, it runs great but just recently while riding it completely stop shifting. It is now stuck in 1st. Gear and it will not shift neither up or down.. My shifter is not bent everything looks well in place nor have i wrecked it.. Need help ASAP. Im very new to kdx or any 2 stroke dirtbike so im kinda of worried to start taking it apart cuz idk what the hell im doing. Lol. Also i just recently noticed that when i go to kickstart the bike the kick shaft slips like every other kick it does not grab tension like it should to start it. It'll just slip all the way down.. If anyone can help or give advice plz do..

Thanks
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: dont shift stuck in 1st gear , slag in kickstart

Post by Postigo »

Hi, the most common shifting problem is the power valve governor tab. Here is a tread :http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... ng#p152313

Hope this helps :supz:
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
Shadowdev
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Shadowdev »

As mentioned by Postigo, read through the post thread below, watch vids, and you'll see that I did have the same problem with shifting, however I Did Not have any problem with the kick-start lever, so that may certainly be another issue.
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... ng#p152313

Take the clutch side cover off and see if the KIPS governor pin is still located on the KIPS shaft. Mind you, this pin has absolutely nothing to do with the bike shifting, it's when it, or other parts, have become broken or loose and are causing the shift forks to not engage the shift turret correctly. If the KIPS is fine, look for something else that may be binding the shift forks & turret mechanisms.
Once I cleared out the bits and pieces, replaced the broken part(s), cleaned everything up, and reassembled.... All good to go...

You may be dealing with something a bit different as your kick-start is acting strangely, but I'd certainly check out the clutch side, shift fork and shift turret assembly first as it's relatively easy to access and does not require pulling or splitting the engine.

Keep us posted,
SD
lucero.95.kdx200

Re: dont shift stuck in 1st gear , slag in kickstart

Ok will do. I really appreciate the feedback from both of you. Im actually about to start tearing it down today some time.. Once again thank you both.

I'll keep yal updated
lucero.95.kdx200

Sorry for the late update guys but just wanted to let yal know it was in fact the KIPS governor pin that had broken off and was keeping it from shifting gears. So i just wanted to thank all of you who gave me advice on this . thank you much brother's.
Shadowdev
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Shadowdev »

Great to hear that it's sorted.... I'm actually surprised at how often that broken part becomes lodged in the shifter mechanism and not somewhere else. I guess there's only so far it can travel before ending up in that area...

Happy New Year,
SD