03 KDX 200 destroyed brakes & rotors?

Got questions? We got answers....
Eric Walls

Post by Eric Walls »

I haven't been on the forums much recently because I've been busy riding and modding my new to me kdx200. I have changed a lot already and still have much more to do over this snowy Ohio winter we are suppose to get.

The brakes are just destroyed, both front & rear brake pads are metal to metal no pad material left which in turn has completely ruined both the brake rotors they are deeply grooved an scared.

I will be replacing all brake pads an rotors..........................Please any one with experience give me advice/recommendation as to what the absolute best (stock diameter) brake rotors & pads are. I ride 100% deep soft sand, rock, an gravel conditions. Deep loose sand as in if you don't keep your momentum up you will sink to the swingarm.

Price doesn't matter at all, I just want good long lasting rotors, but more important are the brake pads themselves. The more aggressive the "initial bite" the better I'll like them. If I could find a pad that grabs so incredibly hard from cold that darn near throws me over the front end when I (one finger) the front brake I'd be in heaven.

* Best, strongest, longest lasting brake rotors....?
* Most aggressive initial bite, deep sand, gravel/rocks brake pads that grab extremely hard....?
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 03 KDX 200 destroyed brakes & rotors?

Post by newbbewb »

I have run both the EBC rotors and the Tusk rotors. Both brands seem to be great. The finish on the EBC rotors is better, it lasts longer. Metal quality is on par with OEM for both brands. As far as brake pads, I like the EBC the best, but have run the cheap Neutron pads without a problem. The neutron pads are quite grabby, watch out. I will point out that neutron pads make modulating the rear brake almost impossible they grab so much.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

Are the Tusk rotors for the KDX ubber thick?

Years ago I taco'd a rear rotor on my YZ and replaced it with a Tusk. It was easily 30% thicker, and HEAVY. Worked fine though.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

I didn't think the tusk was any thicker than OEM
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Eric Walls

Post by Eric Walls »

In my many hours of research I keep reading articles that the stock oem rotor & pads are very good, even better then the majority of aftermarket stuff???
Any truth to that?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You may wish to look into solid rotors.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

I use oem,can't beat the fit and durability.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

Eric Walls wrote:In my many hours of research I keep reading articles that the stock oem rotor & pads are very good, even better then the majority of aftermarket stuff???
Any truth to that?
yes and no, it depends on the bike and also what you will demand from the braking system. In factory form the KDX brakes are pretty good, or maybe a better way of explaining is that the brakes that are on the KDX from factory fit what the bike was built to do. IMO, the factory rotors are fine, but better brake pads can be utilized if you ride hard. I would prefer factory rotors, but they cost almost double to some aftermarket rotors and they aren't twice as good. Now if the aftermarket rotors liked to fail, you bet your butt I'd be shelling out for OEM stuff, but they don't, so I'll save a few $$ for something else.
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com