shutoff valve not working

Got questions? We got answers....
rabbitrex44

Post by rabbitrex44 »

96 kdx200, when I shut the gas off it keeps leaking. Combined with my float seemingly leaking. I'm wasting tons of gas.

Is there any easy fix for the shutoff valve. I'm guessing g i need to take the carb out and clean the float needle to fix that side of it?
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

For the Fuel tap. Possibly putting a thin exact size washer behind the plate that pushed against the leaver. I think there is already a wavely washer there. This may make it seal again but a new rubber would be best is its only problem is old, hard, worn and perished.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: shutoff valve not working

Post by Sullyfam »

New rubber in fuel valve is best fix. Washer should work temporarily, but the increased pressure will eventually break up the old brittle rubber.

As for carb, adjust your float bowl height (assuming you mean leaking is coming from overflow tube).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fitterman24
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Fitterman24 »

Petcock rebuild kit and a new needle valve for the carb----after a good cleaning. I think it's $8 or $9 for the petcock kit. Word of advice--don't be in a rush to slap the kit in and go. There is a veery thin "O" ring that seals the lever and it's easy to ruin it if you just jam everything back in. The reason you are leaking fuel, though, is because your needle valve probably needs replaced. It has a rubber tip that hardens over time and will not seal---no matter how much you clean and set your float. Good luck
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Great point on carb needle valve! Forgot about that little bugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rabbitrex44

Post by rabbitrex44 »

Sounds pretty straight forward.

I've probably lost 3-4 gallons of gas so far. It leaks in my garage (out of overflow) and the wife complains of the smell too. Worst part is I have no kickstand and ride out in the desert. So I need the shutoff to work I can't be losing gas on my already short 2 stroke range.

Thanks a ton for the help guys. I love this forum.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

To temporarily stop it from leaking in your garage, until you get the parts to fix it. Take a small c-clamp or vise grips and squeeze the fuel line shut, doesn't have to be crimped real hard just a little squeeze will do it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is your "short 2 stroke range" comment based on you riding it with it leaking fuel, possibly at 2 problem areas??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
rabbitrex44

Post by rabbitrex44 »

Yes I seem to only have range problems when I leak. But I have ridden without leaking and have burned a whole tank before. The 4 strokes I was with had a good half tank still.

I did end up stopping both leaks b4 riding on sun for about 50-60 miles (topping off between trail runs). The shutoff valve I temporarily fixed by flipping over the rubber disk. The float valve I pulled the carb and cleaned the needle and seat. Needle looked good. I adjusted the float valve a tiny bit so that it would cut flow when parallel.

Gotta love a good running kdx. I think all of this leaking and a good amount of lugging fouled my iridium plug. Think I'm gonna move to a br7eix from the br8eix that I'm running now.