Kips maintenance

Got questions? We got answers....
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Kips maintenance

Post by jjavaman »

It's my 1st time doing this on my 220 and I was wondering if there are any tips/warnings people have come across in doing this? It's seems like the manual has it laid out pretty well, I'm hoping to do it with the engine in the frame and any advice would be greatly appreciated .
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
MikeNZ

Kips maintenance

Post by MikeNZ »

Hi what year is 220 I have 2005 200 and recently did top end including complete disassemble of kips and clean. I highly recommend that you follow instructions in this link as I did http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/657765 ... to-kdx200/ it is simply brilliant way better than manual (actually best used in conjunction with manual). When undoing the nut on top of the the advancer shaft note that it is left hand thread and must be turned clockwise to losen and the shaft should be supported with spanner. if you pull the rubber boot down you will notice that there is a hex section, from memory this takes 6mm open ended spanner keep the shaft in place with the 6mm spanner while you loosen nut clockwise. I honestly believe that this job would be easier to do with the head and jug off as I did. have you replaced the stock piston yet the 220 stock piston is supposed to be a hand grenade, so they say, if you havent than perhaps kill two birds with one stone. in any event you will need two remove head to pull out and check the kipps sub valves. I would also mention that i am no mechanic and managed this job easily using manual and link so good luck.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Kips maintenance

Post by jjavaman »

Thanks, there's a lot of good info on thumper talk.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

Thanks again for that link, it went smooth as silk and I now know I have a clean kips system. I have to admit to being a little intimated by it after looking at what was involved, I just followed the manual step by step and boom, I was at the reassemble stage. That went great now just waiting on my gasket kit it put the cylinder back on and for my head and carb to get back from RB designs!
MikeNZ

Post by MikeNZ »

Awsome pretty easy to work on really . What was the piston and barrel like?
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

The barrel looks ok and I'm swapping out the piston for a wiseco and piece of mind