Rear Shock Spring Rate

Got questions? We got answers....
nwrider45

Rear Shock Spring Rate

Post by nwrider45 »

OK, I screwed up. I ordered the 5.4 kg instead of a 5.2 kg spring. First, have any of you ridden with the 5.4 kg spring that are in the 210 - 230 pound range? Can you get enough action from the shock with that spring rate and is there enough adjustment on the rebound to control it? Primary use will be on trails -- no MX or really high speed stuff. TIA John.
JasonK94Z

Re: Rear Shock Spring Rate

Post by JasonK94Z »

I'm around 230 in gear. 5.6 is the proper shock spring for my weight. The shock action is just fine. Both race tech and a very good suspension guy local to me suggested 5.6 for the shock and .46 for the forks.
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
nwrider45

Post by nwrider45 »

Jason,

Thanks for your feedback --- you must ride fast over rough terrain! I hope that the .42 kg F/5.4 kg R will work for me at my slower pace. I'm looking for compliant suspension over rocky terrain that won't beat my nearly 70 yr. old body :grin:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Have you had the shock services recently?

Congrats on being able to ride at that age!! :supz:

Check your sag numbers to see if the spring is correct.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
JasonK94Z

Post by JasonK94Z »

nwrider45 wrote:Jason,

Thanks for your feedback --- you must ride fast over rough terrain! I hope that the .42 kg F/5.4 kg R will work for me at my slower pace. I'm looking for compliant suspension over rocky terrain that won't beat my nearly 70 yr. old body :grin:

I don't ride fast yet. I just enjoy a firm suspension. I have a KLR650 dualsport that is stiffly suspended due to its weight. I've ridden that thing into some knarly trails and just gotten used to firm suspension.
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
nwrider45

Post by nwrider45 »

I think I have good genes. My father was still riding in the dirt into his 80's and was still riding road bikes at almost 95 when he was taken out by a car.

Re: rear shock service. No, there still seems to be strong damping/compression without the spring so I'm going to give it a go first. I've only ridden it a short bit in a parking lot prior to purchase and have it apart to replace the swing arm and Uni Track bearings/bushings and seals. Just took the carb over to Ron Black this morning to have it modded before heading to AZ for the winter season. Also recently met Newbbewb to buy a stock muffler w/spark arrester to comply with NF rules.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I am sorry to hear about your dad. That is terrible.

On the shock (or forks), a rebuild and fresh oil and nitrogen will make it feel a lot better.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128