black ooze exhaust

Got questions? We got answers....
dualscotty

black ooze exhaust

Post by dualscotty »

Little bit of oil seep from engine where exhaust meets engine.norm??
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: black ooze exhaust

Post by Tedh98 »

Sounds like you need new o-rings. I always add some high temp RTV to the o-rings for the best seal possible. You dont want an air leak at this joint.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Its normal. You can fix it. It will only get worse and make a mess.
There are two o-rings on the pipe where it slides into the cylinder. There is also a copper washer that goes into the cylinder first and the end of the pipe presses against it.
You can fix it by making sure youre pipe is square in the cylinder. You may have to bend the pipe hangers or even the pipe to get everything happy all the way through to the silencer. I usually get the pipe right and then bend the pipe on the silencer to match.
New o-rings, a new copper washer, liberal coating of hi-temp RTV, and make sure the springs are good and you'll be good until the next time you run the pipe into a stump or whatever
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

KarlP wrote:Its normal. You can fix it. It will only get worse and make a mess.
There are two o-rings on the pipe where it slides into the cylinder. There is also a copper washer that goes into the cylinder first and the end of the pipe presses against it.
You can fix it by making sure youre pipe is square in the cylinder. You may have to bend the pipe hangers or even the pipe to get everything happy all the way through to the silencer. I usually get the pipe right and then bend the pipe on the silencer to match.
New o-rings, a new copper washer, liberal coating of hi-temp RTV, and make sure the springs are good and you'll be good until the next time you run the pipe into a stump or whatever

well, shucks. i hadn't thought about a poor seal caused by a bent pipe. thanks for pointing it out !

i wrapped the pipe with high temp silicon 'tape' (there is no adhesive, it melts into itself) and reinstalled it. so far i have about 15 hours on it, and it doesnt leak anymore goop.

good suggestions, thanks guys !
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Ohgood-
wrapped the pipe with high temp silicon 'tape' (there is no adhesive, it melts into itself) and reinstalled it. so far i have about 15 hours on it, and it doesnt leak anymore goop.
I recently assembled a hybrid for a buddy of mine and remembered your post about that high temp silicon tape. That is what I used on the silencer to pipe junction. That stuff worked good, thanks for the post!

The OP is talking about the pipe to cylinder joint though, don't want to confuse anyone.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
nwrider45

black ooze exhaust

Post by nwrider45 »

Does the 220 use the same O rings and gasket as the 200? I have an FMF Gnarly on the bike I just purchased but FMF doesn't seem to show a spring & O ring kit for the 220.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

black ooze exhaust

Post by IDRIDR »

What kind of silicone tape are you using?
I looked on Amazon and there are so many options!
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The 220 and 200 use the same parts

I used a Loctite product, bought it at Lowes
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

IDRIDR wrote:What kind of silicone tape are you using?
I looked on Amazon and there are so many options!
I don't have a spec, but I ordered out from an airplane supply company years ago. it's orange with a blue stripe, and about 1 inch wide
dualscotty

Post by dualscotty »

Thanks for the replays.I I was wondering if some black oil ooze was normal glad to hear that it is.can I match up o rings and copper washer at my local hardware store our are they special
nwrider45

Post by nwrider45 »

Given the amount of heat at the exhaust connection, I wouldn't expect a hardware store O ring to work. An auto parts store might have some high temp O rings that would fit.
dualscotty

Post by dualscotty »

Thanks nwrdr.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

black ooze exhaust

Post by pumpguy »

Ideally you want Viton O rings. They're good for 400 degrees F. Buna is good too, but is only good for 225 Degrees F. Both are OK for petroleum products. Many hardware store O rings are only Neoprene, and they don't hold up.

I have some posted in the FOR SALE section if you're interested.