kd-200x swap need help wont start

Got questions? We got answers....
89liftedxj

Post by 89liftedxj »

hello first off i know alot of ppl are gonna get upset but i swapped a 86 kdx200 motor in my 200x were big into trikes and the mx circut is huge in pa,oh,md,ny so i wann race the 200 class so why not put a 2 stroke power valve motor in right..

i bought a nice 86 kdx200 pulled motor wiring pipe carb and swapped it on motor ran on the bike but was hard to start

now i only got it to start once on the trike frame

i inspected
spark good
timing plate /stator plate mark is lined up
flywheel looks ok???
compression 135psi after 10 kicks and needle stops
fuel yes if you give it throttle while kicking it flood easy

today kicking it it will try to start 2 bangs then nothing and it sounded like it backfired but the other day it did that in the expansion chamber

im in need of help here i have alot invested in this and alot of time into it as well

i bought a kx250 intake boot since it has side angle for carb but its too big can i use a 94 kdx200 boot on my 86 motor??

heres some picts

the first and last time it ran
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: kd-200x swap need help wont start

Post by KarlP »

Why not? It looks like a fun combination.

You said the motor ran when it was in the bike? It would have been nice to work out any running issues while it was still in the bike.

Can't really help much from here. Flywheel in good shape? Timing, spark, compression, fuel and air? It has to run if its got those.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

You said the flywheel looks ok. Have you pulled it off and made sure the key wasn't sheared off?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Definitely need to pull the flywheel and check the magnets REALLY well. They do tend to shatter, which will cause hard start and eventually no start.....
89liftedxj

Post by 89liftedxj »

I pulled the flywheel and got a new woodruff key the old wan was grooved on both sides looked dovetailed. I know the history of them shearing off and the magnet issues. Does anyone have a extra flywheel for 86-89 kdx200?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Probably one of the hardest to find parts for a KDX. If you need one, maybe reach out to Jeff at FRP. I believe he can work some magic with a later model flywheel.
89liftedxj

Post by 89liftedxj »

The bike rb before it was just hard to start. 2 stroke should start one or three kicks. It seemed like it flooded easy ran good once started very snappy. Makes no sense. Compression is good has spark I've seen brighter but still blue And fuel. Reeds are ok

What reed intake will fit that motor that angles the carb to the left I bought a kx one top and bottome holes for but sides are too wide. Does boysen make one or will other yeah kdx models for my 86 engine
89liftedxj

Post by 89liftedxj »

nospark while kicing sometimes a little bit i tried diff coils but is the stator bad at .063 ohms or is the flywheel bad