Any Street Plated KDX's

Got questions? We got answers....
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Any Street Plated KDX's

Post by s10gto »

Anyone duelsport there KDX? Thinking of plating my KDX. I know I got to get the kit and change tires but how do you feel it does on the pavement? What do you get for fuel mileage? I Think it would be great if I could ride to my local forest, do the trails then ride home. I know every state is different but do you have any issue getting inspected? My bike is stock. Thanks :grin:
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Any Street Plated KDX's

Post by kx200 »

I only get 80 to 90 miles to a tank. I have mine geared 15/45. So 1st gear is a little tall for the really tight stuff. A Rekluse would fix that. I bought a 1997 220 from a guy in Michigan back in 2001 and it already had a title so the hard part was done. I then added turn signals, hi /low headlight, horn,battery, and all the other street legal stuff. Put on 7300 trouble free miles :grin:
KDX_Johnny

Any Street Plated KDX's

Post by KDX_Johnny »

I have a 2006 KDX 200 plated. Just the stock headlight and I added a functional taillight. That's all! I get 55 miles of HARD riding before I hit reserve. Then I can probably go another 10 miles. So 65 I a tank. Which is enough to get you through any well planned Enduro or dual sport. Power is great. It does fine on the street. Just make sure not to hold the same rpm too long. Chop the throttle up a little bit. I also have a second set of balanced rims for when I daily the bike. It helps dramatically. Use the stock 13-47 setup. Couldn't be happier!
Just a square trying to ram myself into that circular hole...
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Any Street Plated KDX's

Post by pumpguy »

Do the research on what your state requires. As you say, each state is different.

I'm in Illinois and in addition to stop light, muffler, mirrors, etc, I need to have an electrically operated horn. Also for inspection, here in Illinois they have Secretary of State Police just for this. In other states this is done at the dealer level. I understand in some states it is near impossible to get an off road bike plated for the street.

Good Luck.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Any Street Plated KDX's

Post by s10gto »

Thanks everyone! I got a street title so I am good there. What do you use for a speedo? Also my state requires a keyed ignition. Any ideas? Thanks again!
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Any Street Plated KDX's

Post by IDRIDR »

s10gto wrote:Thanks everyone! I got a street title so I am good there. What do you use for a speedo? Also my state requires a keyed ignition. Any ideas? Thanks again!
You can find a fairly inexpensive key switch (check digikey, there are others) and wire your kill switch wires through it.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
adam728
Supporting Member

Re: Any Street Plated KDX's

Post by adam728 »

My old 220 was plated, best was about 85 easy miles before reserve was called to duty. Typically 60-65 miles of harder riding got it there.

As said, state dictates requirements and even possibility. Some states its nearly impossible to license a dirt bike vin. Others (like Arizona) will hand you a plate for anything if you claim its setup legal.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Trail Tech or cheap bicycle computer for a speedo....for electronics, make it easy on yourself and get the Tusk kit from RMATV.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Any Street Plated KDX's

Post by kx200 »

I made a mounting bracket and used a old round Yamaha DT250 speedometer. It used the stock KDX cable and was accurate +or - 2mph
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Any Street Plated KDX's

Post by s10gto »

Cool! Thanks Guys! I think I am going to do it. Planned on the Tusk kit and I found a nice ignition switch with bracket made for the job. I found this 05 Kdx220 with only a few rides on it (about 12 hours total). Tires are still OEM and mint but was thinking of changing them due to age. What do you run for a trail/DOT tire? Was thinking Dunlop 606's....?

Thanks again! Riding from one trail to the next without having to look over my shoulder :busted: will be sweet! :boogie:
vintagekawi

Post by vintagekawi »

Hi all, I have a 97 kdx220 street registered in new york. It has a baja designs kit on it. I use it mostly in the woods and sand pits near my home. I just ride on the street to and from the trails. It is a blast to ride everywhere. Even though its "streetlegal" it always feels like im breaking the law everytime i ride it ;) good luck and have fun!
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Thanks everyone! Just a update. Paper work went just fine. She is registered and insured. :boogie: Made sure all is good before spending the $$. So far Brake/Tail light/Plate holder is done along with folding mirrors. Baja Designs kit and tires are next. Maybe Santa will hook me up. :hmm: Pic's to come. :grin:
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Any Street Plated KDX's

Post by s10gto »

A few pic's

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Any Street Plated KDX's

Post by 6 Riders »

s10gto wrote:A few pic's

Sooooo, what headlight is that? (on the street plated bike)
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Any Street Plated KDX's

Post by s10gto »

Headlight is factory. It will be a baja designs duelsport one soon. I like the baja kit best. Horn,battery,reg,ect all pre-installed and wired on back of mask.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

How about the headlight that is on the bike on the right?
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Oh I'm sorry misunderstood. That one is also stock. That's my 2014 KlX250s. :grin:
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

hey s10gto, where in mass are you? im working on finishing my 86kdx (already plated it a few months ago). Im in new bedford.
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Hi hbgod I am right next door in Lakeville. That is sweet you got one plated too. Will have to get together for a freetown forest ride. My buddy has a restored 82 KDX250. He's not plated but reg. for the forest. Thous old air cools rip :grin:
Last edited by s10gto on 09:21 pm Dec 09 2014, edited 2 times in total.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Just saw your build thread. You have been busy! Nice work! :grin: