Switching oil types question

Got questions? We got answers....
motorider200

Switching oil types question

Post by motorider200 »

Hey everybody, I just switched from gearsaver to mobil 1 with the red cap and now my clutch has started to act funny. The cluch doesn't want to disengage all the way. I used to be able to start the bike in gear just fine and now I can't. It didn't start doing it until about 1:30-2:00 hours after the switch. I am clueless as to what might be going on. Should I just change the oil again with mobil 1? Or should i switch back to gearsaver? My only reason for switching in the first place was because I was at the auto parts store buying oil for my truck and saw the mobil 1 and thought I would give'er try and see if I like it. Any help would be great. Thanks, Braden
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Changing the oil twice will ensure you got the old stuff out. I use red cap mobil1 and it works great for me. I use the full quart.
There are a couple of things you might want to check:
1. Cable adustment. If it has streached any at all, then it may cause this type of problem
2. Cable needs lubing. A dry cable will also not work well.
3. Cable is binding up somewhere.
Go through the adjustment proceedure in your manual.
Good Luck and post back what you find.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Thanks for the reply Skipro3, I changed the oil and adjusted the clutch some and and everything seems to be just fine.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mobil 1 all the way.... great stuff! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "