Installing FRP brake light switch - which bulb setup?

Got questions? We got answers....
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

I need a new stock bulb, but can I switch to an LED? Will the resistor setup still cause it to brighten?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

I have only limited experience, but what I've read and experienced, LEDs do best when fed DC current. The stock KDX lighting circuit puts out AC. Also, some LEDs are directional, sending light in one direction only like a flashlight. I've seen a variety of dual filament LED tail light bulbs and have read some posters that say they work OK on AC, so I guess my answer is it's a real definite maybe.
Gundy

Re: Installing FRP brake light switch - which bulb setup?

Post by Gundy »

I guess my first question is really: can I use the stock so let and bulb as a brakelight, or do I need to swap to something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Installing FRP brake light switch - which bulb setup?

Post by 6 Riders »

The stock tail light is dual element, so yes you can use that bulb.....BUT.....You will need an 1157 (or similar) socket to put the bulb in. I just used one from a parts bike I have in the driveway, but you can get them (the socket) at almost any auto parts store.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

I installed the wiring and a new stock replacement bulb and it works. Very easy plug n play. It burns very dim until pressing the brake, and then it brightens up. Good enough for dual sport tech check....probably not what you want for full street legality and inspection though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk