Tool kit

Got questions? We got answers....
Bitteeinit

Tool kit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I did a search but came up empty-handed. What do you guys carry in your tool kit (if you even do carry one)? I usually never carry anything, but I realize that's just asking for trouble. My other bikes have always been very reliable (I do ride fairly conservatively in remote areas), but you never know. The KDX has treated me well so far, but I'm curious as to what size wrenches/what tools fellow KDX riders carry along.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tool kit

Post by IDRIDR »

I carry tools necessary to do almost anything I'd need to do on the bike. And the tools get used almost every ride....because my buddies need them and don't carry their own! :shock:
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Tools I've found useful are 8" Crescent wrench, spark plug wrench, screw driver, and Vice Grip pliers. Also carried spare spark plug(s) and cables. Today I hardly go anywhere without a Leatherman type combination tool. You can go from there from experience what tools you use most often when working on your bike.
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

Man, carry stuff to fix a flat. I didn't on a solo ride recently, and had to ride out on a flat rear MT43 trials tire; anything faster than slipping the clutch in first gear was out of control. I only had to ride out about 4 miles, and it took almost an hour. I had planned to go a solid 20 miles before turning around! Luckily, I didn't ruin the tire. I then ordered a spare tube bag and a large fender bag from this guy:

http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/index.html

His prices are great, the products are REALLY good, and the shipping was FAST. Made in USA, and the owner rides a dirt bike in the Rockies for fun. He's the real deal.

I mounted the large fender bag in place of the taillight on my 220, left the stock tool bag in place behind the seat, and mounted the spare tube bag on the front fender under the headlight. I've got enough space to carry everything I could possibly need, and this tool bag combo is completely unnoticeable while riding.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

chkdx wrote:http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/index.html

His prices are great, the products are REALLY good, and the shipping was FAST. Made in USA, and the owner rides a dirt bike in the Rockies for fun. He's the real deal.

That guy has a good philosophy on what to carry.
http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/tools.html
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

8, 10, 12, 14, 17mm ratcheting wrench. 27mm oem rear axle nut tool. #2 phillips and common screwdriver. zip ties, safety wire and pliers. 30' parachute cord. leatherman tool. Co2 and 4 cartridges, 6oz of tire slime. spark plug wrench, spark plug. pick tool. old kershaw 3" folding knife, allen key set, and an old joint in cause I really bash myself up. all this crap fits great in a moose toolbag on the rear fender. I've never been left needing anything.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoKDX220r »

Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

newbbewb wrote:8, 10, 12, 14, 17mm ratcheting wrench. 27mm oem rear axle nut tool. #2 phillips and common screwdriver. zip ties, safety wire and pliers. 30' parachute cord. leatherman tool. Co2 and 4 cartridges, 6oz of tire slime. spark plug wrench, spark plug. pick tool. old kershaw 3" folding knife, allen key set, and an old joint in cause I really bash myself up. all this crap fits great in a moose toolbag on the rear fender. I've never been left needing anything.
Thanks for itemizing!

And good link Jok, I hadn't seen that thread.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Dang, Mr. Wibbens is awesome! I can't believe I never thought about tow straps at the front and rear. I'm used to bikes which have a rack in the back... When I got stuck in mud on my FIRST ride with the KDX, I struggled for like 5 minutes trying to get it out because I couldn't get a good grip anywhere. No part of the frame is exposed enough to grab onto....
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

a jeep wrangler oh ****! handle velcro's on to the front forks great. it's pretty much standard for riding hare scramble around here.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... e&_sacat=0

while I thinking of it, it's also good to coordinate with buddies that you ride with.... one person carries tubes, one person carries med kit, one person carries tools.

I HATE wearing a backpack. I duct tape a fuel can to my front fender and zip tie water bottles to my upper triples. ANYTHING to not wear a backpack.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I'm also not a big fan of backpacks. I usually just wear a camelpack, though sometimes I wear a small packpack and/or fannypack if I'm going for a ride that's several days long. The one advantage of wearing a backpack is that it doesn't alter the bike's performance. When you have luggage in the rear or front, it completely changes how the bike responds to bumps/rocks. Sometimes the extra weight in the rear is actually beneficial though... Like sand riding or climbing hills/fording rivers. It feels better not wearing anything on one's back (especially in the heat), but I did some rides with panniers which were a bitch... I'm thinking of making a small jerrycan bracket to put on the rear of my bike (5L). The SR has a rear "frame", so I could just bolt in on the rear. The weight would be negligible as gas is lighter than water, and that way I wouldn't have to carry bottles of fuel in my backpack...
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tool kit

Post by IDRIDR »

2014 Suzuki DL1000.