Bad Craigslist deal.

Got questions? We got answers....
omeltono

Bad Craigslist deal.

Post by omeltono »

Alright guys. This is my first dirtbike, 1998 kdx220, and I bought it off Craigslist but didn't know what signs to look for. Guess I shoulda checked here before I bought it, but long story short took it in to the shop and they said that first and second gear are completely shot. (Also the clutch won't engage when lever is pulled and put into gear, while bike is off.) Said it'd be cheaper to do it myself, so that's what I'm doing. I was wondering what I'd need to replace. Also I've yet to find a manual online that's free, might just have to bite the bullet. Help would be much appreciated! Please helpp.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Bad Craigslist deal.

Post by s10gto »

Welcome to the KDX family! A manual is a must have. If the gears are indeed shot you will need to split the case to replace them. This would also be the time to do a fresh top end.
omeltono

Post by omeltono »

Thx for the reply! So is there a specific gear I should buy for this bike? Or is it just standard?
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bad Craigslist deal.

Post by pumpguy »

I would recommend you get a manual before doing anything else. This will answer most questions and you won't be doing any guesswork. Then find an online parts list so you know the OEM part numbers. These 2 resources and this website will tell you everything you need to know.

Good luck with your new to you KDX.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

on the bright side, the 220 has a bad habbit of exploding stock pistons without warning
this will be your chance to replace the piston with a forged unit before it does any real damage

the manual is your friend (like mentioned before)

once you get that start digging into it and post your picture on here, we will be happy to help you out and back off the roads :grin:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
omeltono

Post by omeltono »

Yep. Definitely looks like I'll have to invest in a manual here soon, thanks guys. I'm sure to be on here again at some point, probably when I get my next paycheck hah thanks again for the help
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

almost forgot to mention, just because you need to rebuild the bottom end doesn't mean it is a bad craigslist deal yet...depending on what you paid for it

that bike, in good shape, in certain areas will fetch around 2K
so keep the total investment underneath that number and you could still call it a good deal :bravo:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. What did you pay for it?

It may be cheaper in time and money to just go buy another one.

Did you not test ride it first?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
omeltono

Post by omeltono »

I paid 900 for it. We did test ride it while we were there? Which is why I don't understand why its having this problem now, didn't notice it before.
Last edited by omeltono on 07:28 am Oct 16 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The clutch doesn't work when the bike is off. That is perfectly normal and not a problem to be concerned about. The wet clutch needs centrifugal force to spin the oil out from between the plates and release. That force is not present when the engine is not running.

As for first and second gear, can we elaborate on "shot"? I am mistrustful of many shops. It would be nice to get an explanation of the symptoms of 2 gears that are "shot". :)

Welcome to the site, and congrats on the bike. I think you'll be able to get it sorted out and be happy with it.
omeltono

Post by omeltono »

Alright so I guess the gears aren't necessarily shot, they're running loose in the gearbox? The guy said they're practically just spare parts.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I am with Julien D on not trusting shops. Did they split the cases to tell you the gears where just spare parts? Did they take anything apart to come to that conclusion? Otherwise I am not sure how they would know that.

When you have the money, get the manual and start taking the easy stuff apart first. You may find it is just something simple that isnt working. There is a good thread with videos about a shifting problem that you should look at. It was updated a couple of weeks ago, so you shouldnt have to search too far back.
omeltono

Post by omeltono »

Yea the guy split the case, and I've yet to come by to pick it up. But on the phone they said they put the gears in a folder. I'll know more as soon as I pick it up though. Should be within a day or two.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

This doesn't add up. If they have already split the cases, then the bulk of the work is already completed. Slapping in a couple new gears and stitching it back up is the easy part.

:blink:
omeltono

Post by omeltono »

I was told they had opened it up. Only talked to the owner though and not the mechanic, so I'll have to get more information.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

That does sound strange.

I hope they are organized for your sake. To get to the point where the cases are split, there are a lot of parts that come off. If you dont get everything, then the repair will just get more expensive and take longer as you wait for parts to replace missing items.
omeltono

Post by omeltono »

Me too.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

If they have split the cases you are already into the $ for the work they have done.

I bought a bike in pieces from a shop because the customer walked away from it. I paid the shop 1/2 what they had into it; from the shops point of view that was better than nothing
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
vlxk98

Post by vlxk98 »

I have a manual that I would sell, $1500 and you get a 95 200 for free!!!! :grin:
omeltono

Post by omeltono »

Ahahah man, what a deal. I have a bike though, how about 1500 for the manual