Too many numbers!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX_Johnny

Too many numbers!!!

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Fork springs! Time to do them! I weigh 170-175 without gear. I'm 5'9" and below 29 y/o. I am a B class racer but hate riding at that speed all the time so I'd say C class. Riding Enduro and trails with some harescrambles with a stock tank. I see everything from .38-.42 so I'm going to guess .40 is what I want. The rear 5.0 is nice because I like to seat bounce a lot so I like it a hair soft. What are good brands? Where can I get the best deal. I have a buddy that can install them for me. Do I need new valves? Has anyone tried progressive? Do you like them? What size would I need?
Just a square trying to ram myself into that circular hole...
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Too many numbers!!!

Post by 6 Riders »

Go for the .42s. I had mine set up for a 160# Slow B trail rider (I'm really a mid C rider) and they were perfect, at 180# they are to light.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

40 will be a little soft.

Check the sag on your shock spring.

Go for Eibach or Race Tech. Skip Progressive and progressively wound springs.

If you have the money for Race Tech Gold Valves and fork springs for a KDX, then just get a KX front end.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDX_Johnny

Too many numbers!!!

Post by KDX_Johnny »

I can check my sag no problem. Haven't had a chance yet but since I'm in the suspension field I may as well do it. So guys let me get this straight. I'm probably 185 all geared up. Should I go straight for .44 and use a lighter weight fork oil? I'm trying to get these springs ASAP so I can adjust before winter and I'm ready to hit the trails next season. But I'd hate for them to be too stiff. What is your final say? .42 or .44. And now that I'm thinking about it... With stiffer forks my rear may start to feel like mush. So maybe a 5.2.
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Oh and should I replace my fork seals if I'm in there?
JasonK94Z

Post by JasonK94Z »

I'm assuming this is your kdx200?

.40 fork springs, 5.2 shock spring is what is recommended for your weight and class. This will get you the appropriate sag. If you are looking for stiffer action in the forks, that is accomplished through valving. 7wt fork oil to control rebound speed. Factory KDX forks are not rebound adjustable therefore you can somewhat control rebound through fluid weight.

I always replace fork seals when I have the forks apart unless I just recently changed them.
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
KDX_Johnny

Too many numbers!!!

Post by KDX_Johnny »

So get a low weight to keep the forks from rebounding so hard? So I'll get a .42 and use 7 weight to keep them on the softer side? And yes KDX
JasonK94Z

Post by JasonK94Z »

All springs do is support the weight of the bike and you. Rebound is controlled through fluid weight and the damping rod orifices.

Fluid weight does have an effect on compression but the clickers can change that. 7 wt seems to be a good compromise on controlling rebound speed and still being able to stay in control of compression with your adjustment clickers.
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
KDX_Johnny

Too many numbers!!!

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Just purchased my .42kg/mm race tech fork springs! I will be running ATF in the forks as well (7.5w) to slow the recoil. Is 1 quart of ATF enough for both forks? Exactly How much fluid should i run? The manual says 87+/- 2mm..... uhhh do they mean mL? i dont know what they mean by mm.
wheelin4fun

Post by wheelin4fun »

The measurement is the height of fluid from the top of the fork tube. To properly measure this you have to remove the spring and any preload spacer you might have in there and fully compress the fork tube. Then you measure from the top of the fork tube down and that's where you want your fluid level of 87+/-2mm