won"t start

Got questions? We got answers....
ralphsarno1977

won"t start

Post by ralphsarno1977 »

Ok I know shes old but I got an 82 kdx 175. It just died on me one day so I went through it, put new piston and rings and coil and carb and now it wont start. I got it to fire twice but just died out. would a bad cdi box cause this?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: won"t start

Post by Julien D »

It's possible. As with any combustion engine, you need three things. Fuel, spark, and compression. Have you gone about verifying any of these items? If so, how? Have you checked the condition of the flywheel? It's likely that the piston and rings has absolutely nothing to do with it's dying on you, and that whatever problem caused it to stop running still exists.

Welcome to KDXRIDER! That 175 is not a very common bike, I hope you can get it figured out and get her back on the trails!
ralphsarno1977

Post by ralphsarno1977 »

I checked the compression with a compression tester. I got plenty of fuel, took the pipe off and saw theres fuel in there. got good spark checked it with an inline spark tester. flywheel looks good. im at a loss
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Is it timed correctly?
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

won"t start

Post by pumpguy »

It could also be too much fuel. Check the spark plug to see if it's all wet and oily. If it is, try a nice clean and dry plug and see what happens. You could also try giving it a shot of Ether to get it going. Not too much; you don't want to wash out the oil.

Sometimes if an engine has been sitting around for awhile, you have to clear it out to get the correct air/fuel mixture. If that's the case, pull the spark plug and kick the engine over several times. Then put in a clean and dry plug and see what happens. I usually have to go through this drill with my chainsaw.
ArkAngel

Post by ArkAngel »

I had something like this happen to me the other day.. Even tho my spark plug was making spark it just would not go.. Put fresh fuel and new plug.. kicked first time. Sometimes just putting a new plug in solves the problem.. Just my 2c
KDX 200
KDX 250