Handlebar recommendation

Got questions? We got answers....
devans

Handlebar recommendation

Post by devans »

Hi, I'm looking to replace my AFAM 7/8 handlebars. I have a '00 KDX 200 and the cross bar does not clear the speedometer like the original steel bars did, so I took it off. I would like a new set of 7/8 bars with a higher rise/cross bar to clear the speedometer. Any suggestions?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Handlebar recommendation

Post by ohgood »

devans wrote:Hi, I'm looking to replace my AFAM 7/8 handlebars. I have a '00 KDX 200 and the cross bar does not clear the speedometer like the original steel bars did, so I took it off. I would like a new set of 7/8 bars with a higher rise/cross bar to clear the speedometer. Any suggestions?

pro taper trials bend, I'm 6'3" and these bars fit perfect for me
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I have renthal 7/8 rc high bend along with 30mm risers. Great combo. I'm 6'5" though... Haven't really crashed yet so don't know how durable they are. Good bars though with minimal sweep.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Bitteeinit wrote:I have renthal 7/8 rc high bend along with 30mm risers. Great combo. I'm 6'5" though... Haven't really crashed yet so don't know how durable they are. Good bars though with minimal sweep.

and I thought the kdx felt like a toy.... you must be looking for frame extensions!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

im running prot taper fatties, not sure what bend
but the fatties are the way to go, I used to use the 7/8th and even with thickwalled ones they would bend on bad crashes
I installed the 1 1/8th over a year ago and they have held up great
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

stay away from carmichael bend, unless you have at least 30mm riser, in that case the pullback is IMO perfect. CR high taper bend is my personal fav but the higher bend bars, at least to me, seem like they bend easier during crash. If you get 1 1/8 bars, you get to ditch the chin bashing crossbar.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
devans

Post by devans »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm 5'11". Does anyone have photo's of their setup with speedometer that they can upload?
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Maybe not the best angles but it's all I have:

Gives you an idea of the height. RC high might be a bit much if you're 5'11". Then again, my spacers make a big difference. I can upload more pictures next week.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

not sure if you meant CR high bend...cause if you meant Ricky Carmichael, those bars without risers are good for a frickin midget.

It's totally personal preference.

I'm 5'10". CR high bend with 15mm rise is what I use on the KDX. for the hybrid I have carmichael on 30mm risers. they are about the same. more knee room on the carmichael and risers
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
devans

Handlebar recommendation

Post by devans »

For those who run 7/8th bars, what is the measurement between the top of the clamp area on the bars to the bottom of the crossbar (minus pad)? Mine is only 37mm. Do the Pro Taper or Renthals have more room between the crossbar and clamp area?