preventative maintenance

Got questions? We got answers....
kaw814

preventative maintenance

Post by kaw814 »

seems one of the most neglected parts on a used bike is the swingarm and shock linkage...i bought an 02 KDX220 in late sept...i knew the stuff needed replaced but had done it before with no problem...not the case with these..the main swingarm bearings crumbled to almost dust..the linkage bearings are actually peeling away a little at a time...it was easier to get an entire linkage assembly and way more cost effective...the linkage to frame mount bolt had also been loose, and "eggshaped" the hole in the frame...other than having an experienced welder/machinist fix that, i do the maintenance myself...shop rates are ridiculous...hoping i can get some feedback from anyone with the same model, good or bad....ive heard nothing but good things about it so far...thanks
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: preventative maintenance

Post by KDXGarage »

What did you want feedback on?

The previous owner let it go too far, plus didn't have the bolt tightened properly. It is all the human's fault, not the bike, if that helps.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BlackMist

Re: preventative maintenance

Post by BlackMist »

Prevent the grenade, check the piston... If there's no paperwork, which judging by sounds of how it was cared for.....isn't existing :naughty: Get a gasket set and pop the lid to check if it's not oem. Lots of write ups! Everything else is pretty straight fwd, no grease on bearings will cause ugly things no matter what it be. The KDX is a tank with feelings, treat it right and take care of it you'll go anywhere you point that front tire.