The Girlfriend Paradigm

Got questions? We got answers....
BlackMist

The Girlfriend Paradigm

Post by BlackMist »

Moderators, if I have chosen the wrong area to post please feel free to move it.

On to business shall we! To paint the picture I will tell the story and see what comes of it. I hope to build from it as in my searches amongst several forums I am still uncertain due to missing gaps in information.

My girlfriend currently owns a 08 TTR125 LE, I have done quite a bit of work to it to get it up to my standard. Played with the crap carb they put on them, drilled the airbox, upgraded the chain and installed the bbr chain guide, and upgraded maintenance items. No fancy goods like a big bore or exhaust. She has somewhat of a love hate with the bike. She loves the tractor like characterisics of it, but hates the suspension. It's stock setup, no thicker oil or anthing of the sort. She also hates her riding position, and I don't blame her, she's almost folded in half standing on the pegs and she's maybe 5'3".

So in my studies, searches and ponderings I started to investigate a solotion for the drum brakes, in doing so I stumbled on the YZ85 suspension conversions.... Which threw me into a frenzy of searching for a blown up bike I could harvest from. Missed out on a couple 500$ gems, but life goes on.... Since then, not a single cheapy blown up. So I moved on completely, scrapping the idea of upgrades/conversions and whatever else I could throw at the ttr.

Now setting my sights on something green and has disc brakes in the back, I took a keen interest in the klx140. Getting into my rigmarole of research I found the ttr ranked higher in shootout articles and on forum opinions. So that's another one scratched off the list...

Shopping at the local motosports store I picked the brain of a couple salesmen and they put me on the scent of a KX100. So I found myself back on the search rosters going through every girlfriend bike section, and KX trail build up I could find and read. Which brings me here, my brain hurts and I could really use some help on the matter. Everyone seemed to really like the KX as a trail rig, but no one LOVED it like we love our KDX's. Obviously it's apples and oranges, but you get what I mean.

She likes the torque of the ttr, but needs something more. She can't handle much more weight, the ttr is pretty much her max (and mine after a long day of lifting her over things and picking it up when she falls). She likely won't like the no engine braking going down hill, but can adapt. Not sure how she'll like the snap, but she also owns a gsxr600 so I'm sure it'll be fine. I know she fits the KX as I made sure she sat on one. The ttr is too short for her also and puts her in a bad riding position when standing. Thought of risers, but quite frankly I'm sick of the bike and fixing it :wah:

What do I do?! Any other suggestions that aren't red or blue and weigh a tonne? Would the KX be the ultimate solution to all of this? I'm smoking from the ears here, so I'll cut the jibber jabber and let the posts begin!
Thanks!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Girlfriend Paradigm

Post by 6 Riders »

So, the best bikes for this scenario are;
KX100, of course add a FWW, to slow the motor a tad, and other trail necessities such as a side stand and guards etc.
CRF150RB, You'll be looking for the "B" which means "big wheel" version. FWW is optional. You'll still need a side stand and a bunch of guards.

Here's my thoughts. The bikes are competitive w/each other. The KX is a 2t, so it will be easier/cheaper to fix when/if it goes boom. It's green :mrgreen:
The CRF is a racing 4t, so maintenance is high, rebuilds more expensive (again IF it's ever needed) BUT it also has torque, so a big advantage in the trails. The CRF will be 1.5 to 2.5 times the price if buying used, they retail pretty close together if buying new.
My wife (5'3", 110#) just aquired a 150RB, replaced her 150F with it. She's liking it so far. Nice bike, lot's of power. I don't think you can go wrong with one. I would have liked her to try the KX100, but she rode my son's CR85 and just wasn't comfortable with the "hit" that the racing 2t's have.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I had my wife on a KX100. Riding wasn't for her in the long run, so my son took it when he got big enough.

I had RBD do the head and carb. The motor was nearly unstallable, it was great. The RBD work made it give up some of that hit, but it could afford it.

My son out grew it. I used it for trail maintenance for a couple of years. Great bike.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

just to make sure I read this right, your TTR125LE has drum brakes ?
or a drum brake ?
later on you mention you wanted something with a rear disc brake so im guessing it is the L version you have with the front disc rear drum ?
( I bought my wife one a while ago and you wouldn't believe how many sellers didn't know what they had)

if it turns out yours has a front drum then of course the option of a actual L version TTR is out there aswell
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

You weren't kidding about the crf rb being a more expensive bike, people here want wayy too much than what I'd be comfortable with. Nice bike hands down, but after all the work that I've been putting into her fussy little ttr, I think I'm finally at ease with the decision to pull the trigger on the KX. I'll make it trail ready before she even touches it, that way she won't know it's "before" state and not like it. Crf would be more what she's used to being 4t, but I'd like to win back some of my free time :mrgreen:
KarlP wrote:
I had RBD do the head and carb. The motor was nearly unstallable, it was great. The RBD work made it give up some of that hit, but it could afford it.
He doesn't list the KX on the site, what procedures did you opt for or did he suggest? Could send my stuff off while I'm at it :boogie:
diymirage wrote:just to make sure I read this right, your TTR125LE has drum brakes ?
or a drum brake ?
I didn't even think to specify, I forget that they made that rediculous decision to use drums front and back. Yes hers is disc up front drum in back, if it was disc in the back i may have opted to keep it longer.

Thanks guys!
KDX_Johnny

The Girlfriend Paradigm

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Wish you posted this about 2 months ago! Haha I got rid of a 2009 KX100 that I converted into a KDX100. It had literally everything to make it a small woods weapon! And it was faster than my KDX200 too.... But I just couldn't do the size anymore due to the fact my knees don't bend the way they used to :lol: . I got raped on the price too. Got rid of it for a minor league $1500. Had well over 5k into that bike all said and done. But good choice! You'll be happy!
Just a square trying to ram myself into that circular hole...
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

He doesn't list the KX on the site, what procedures did you opt for or did he suggest? Could send my stuff off while I'm at it
I told him I wanted a wife bike, he said no problem.

I think I also tweaked the ignition timing a little. I ran the stock pipe.

Worked good
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

The Girlfriend Paradigm

Post by KarlP »

Another major factor was the ease of starting. That thing started with a simple stab evey time

Search around on KX100 info. I put a '98 KX125 kickstart lever on. It worked way better than the OEM.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

you can also modify the pipe of the KX to lower the hit and broaden the powerband.
It's as easy as cutting through the middle of the baffle and welding in a 1" straight section thats .7mm thick.
I can direct you to all the technical info on this mod if you like.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
BlackMist

The Girlfriend Paradigm

Post by BlackMist »

KDX_Johnny wrote:Wish you posted this about 2 months ago! Haha I got rid of a 2009 KX100 that I converted into a KDX100. It had literally everything to make it a small woods weapon!
I have that problem frequently missing out on gold. What were the better of the mods you had into it for the woods? Not sure I'll be Rollin 5k into it but I'm sure there's things that stood out for you
KarlP wrote:
He doesn't list the KX on the site, what procedures did you opt for or did he suggest? Could send my stuff off while I'm at it
I told him I wanted a wife bike, he said no problem.

I think I also tweaked the ignition timing a little. I ran the stock pipe.

Worked good

Did you have to send out the squish test? Or was it like the KDX and he didn't need it?
Jaguar wrote:you can also modify the pipe of the KX to lower the hit and broaden the powerband.
It's as easy as cutting through the middle of the baffle and welding in a 1" straight section thats .7mm thick.
I can direct you to all the technical info on this mod if you like.
Would be much appreciated, if I can save a few by DIY mods I'm totally game!

Thanks guys! I have one now in my sights for her. Next step is pulling the trigger
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

V-Force 3 reeds, FMF Fatty w/powercore silencer, MSR 10oz flywheel weight (keeps it lugging but not too much to rob your powerband) C-Cycle suspension, ported and polished all intake and exhaust ports in the jug. UNI air filter, sent the carb out to a friend in CA who brought it to a pro shop and they did some wicked stuff to it. Lighter rims for quicker acceleration, little fatter foot pegs for that extra contact, ebc brakes, MSR bark busters, MSR skid plate, asv levers, Polisport headlight, acerbis tailight, baja designs banjo bolt, DID chain, renthal sprockets, Renthal CR high bend fat bars, DB snorkel to keep it quiet and the water out.... and thats all i can remember off the top of my head.... I have a list somewheres. you can pick and choose from this but id say the first 3 that i listed are a must! Good Luck! Happy Hunting!
Just a square trying to ram myself into that circular hole...
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Thanks a bunch Johnny, she'd have a better rig than me if I went that extensive haha but totally great list! Should give me something else to get by the dreary winter months
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

have you considered trading her in for a taller girl ?
one that would fit on a KDX maybe ?

once you marry her your stuck with her but right now there is still time :grin:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

:lol: Im too much a sucker for the petite ones. Plus I wouldn't want my kdx anymore lol I'd have to be different :lol:
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

Here is my page talking about the baffle mod: http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/BRW.html
If you are serious about trying it then tell me the dimensions of the baffle and I will use my expansion chamber calculator to figure the ideal specs for the extension (length and where to put it). This mod turns a motocross pipe into an enduro pipe.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Well! I picked up the kx100 last night! Has a few issues I'll be addressing, all minor. Also the mods to make it a woods weapon the gf will enjoy.
Need to pick your brains though! The clutch isn't fully disengaging and the cable is tight, I tried going tighter but no change. It caught my attention in the snow last night just putting around trying it out, the tire was spinning with the clutch pulled and then back in the garage it wouldn't start or roll in gear with the clutch pulled? :please: anyone else seen and/or dealt with this?
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingerjunkie »

If it has been sitting a while...plates sticking/grabbing with old oil? I've had it happen with really old bikes that sat for too long.
Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically...
http://www.fire-fx.net
...your theater is on...
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

It has indeed been sitting a while, just drain and fill with new fluid or do I have to pull apart and smack it around a little? Haha
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingerjunkie »

First, verify that you're getting what should be full disengagement at the actuator arm.

Second, assuming full range of actuator arm and no "notchiness" that would indicate basket wear, get the bike thoroughly warm to see if old/cold/thick oil can be worked out of the plate stack.

after that...follow the info below (copied from a reliable poster ad ADVRIDER...another great forum).

If some of the clutch plates are stuck together - with the engine running - tranny in neutral - you pull in the clutch and tap the gearshift lever into first - and even though the clutch lever is pulled in the bike bangs into gear and lurches forward hard

- and - while riding along "in gear" - you pull in the clutch and open the throttle and the bike still accelerates (clutch still in)

It usually happens to bikes that have sat for a long time when they had sig moisture in the transmission - the friction pads on the fiber plates are stuck in small amounts of rust (and/or sticky goo) on the steel plates.

- first you could try riding around in a 'safe' area throttle on/off (clutch in) in like 3rd gear and see if you can break it loose as is - for like 10-20 minutes

- or
- can be fixed for zero dollars -

- disassembly is easy - but pay close attention to which parts came off in which order - if your memory sucks write it down/sketch it.

- remove the external clutch cover

- you can leave the outer clutch hub intact as is - you only need remove the spring retainer screws (6?) on the outside - and then center 'pressure plate' and the pack of clutch plates.

- pry 'em apart and clean/sand the steel plates (sand = sandpaper - like 400 W&D paper)

- clean/oil/re-install.
Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically...
http://www.fire-fx.net
...your theater is on...
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

Unfortunately, my money would be on a notched clutch basket being the cause of the drag. A stuck clutch is typically stuck, no difference with the lever in or out. If it drags and only partially disengages then its most likely due to notching.