The Girlfriend Paradigm

Got questions? We got answers....
BlackMist

Re: The Girlfriend Paradigm

Post by BlackMist »

Couldn't resist! :lol:

What's the consensus on the wiseco basket? also what's the opinion for a clutch kit? If I'm opening it up new parts are going in
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Suppose I should show ya'll the little monster
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Had it all apart, basket was like new, clutch discs were atthe thick end of specification as with the plates, I'm curious though there's almost a knurled pattern in the plates could that be causing the drag feel?
I recently ordered the 12oz weight, 53T sprocket, kickstand along with some goods for my KDX. Feels good to have a winter project. I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm wondering if 53T in the back will be enough for her, she's a pretty slow rider. I'm thinking I'll be sending RBD a couple heads and carbs before spring too.
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

BlackMist wrote:Image

Suppose I should show ya'll the little monster
I like the work table. Not sure it will work with my DR650. I'd need to take the gym way more seriously....
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Had the project KDX100 out for the first time this weekend, what an impressive little machine!
It was able to trogg through the mud and climb hills like a tractor. I was actually surprised it wasn't stalling out, I'd keep expecting it to happen and each time it'd keep on goin! The gf did miss the electric start of the ttr, but she'll get used to to the kick.

The list:
12 oz steahly
Ricochet skid plate
53t sprocket
Fork seal guards
Steahly kickstand
Crf250x coolant tank, worked great
Repacked factory muffler, made my own spark arrestor... Wouldn't recommend... I'll be going fmf once this one needs a repack.
Jetted
Boyesen carbon reeds
Br8es spark plug

Future list/complaints

-IMS tank, the factory one is way too small. It's worth getting, don't hesitate. We did a light hour and a bit ride of fairly low speed and the fuel level was pretty low for just that ride our of the factory tank...I wanted to see for myself, now I know.
-bar risers or taller bar, she's 5'3" and was hunched over pulling weight from the front
-lights, going to add a stator etc, for a rear light I'll be going acerbis as the stock fender did nothing to keep the mud off her back it was quite funny to me, not so much her lol :lol:
-kx125 kickstart mod, the tiny stock is a hard target to hit
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

so after all the mods, there is still that missing bottom end she needs. I swear her riding got worse last season, and slower.... ANYWAY

went to a 12t in the front, seemed to help a fair amount. Now I'm just trying to get that dead spot out of the bottom end. I'm still thinking RB will be best bet, waiting for our dollar to pull a miracle first... :kick: I found the moose reed block spacers from the kx85 work, if it does anything like what a carb spacer does on a V8 it should be minty. so I'll likely give that a shot as well as engineer a exhaust spacer donut. Jetting is bang on with the toasted marshmallow brown plug. and I didn't even have to touch it! haha p/o actually knew a thing or two.

IMS tank is happening this season, damn near ran out of fuel on the day I didn't have my spare tank in the backpack.

May get ambitious and do some painting for her, make it stand out a touch more and tackle the surface rust on the frame.

installed bar risers last season, going to opt for taller bars. she still hunches over with the 1" risers on stock bars. guy on thumpertalk had a build thread with a similar sized wife, he went for the pro-taper woods high bend and I'm not sure how I feel about a 1 1/8 bar just yet.... any thoughts on decent bars with good height and bends? I know i'll be doing kx lines, so no surprises there.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

pipe mod for more low end.
only problem is making it fit.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Jaguar wrote:pipe mod for more low end.
only problem is making it fit.
yeah, im not sure it would be entirely fun to fabricate. lots of research is showing the stock pipe has the most low end out of the aftermarkets.
how would one calculate how much to add and where?
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

I have the software for that
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
TimmyD

Post by TimmyD »

Have you considered putting a flywheel weight on it? We did that with my little bro's KX100 and it made the thing WAY easier to ride in the woods. It was a Steahly, and I think it was like $100.
2002 KDX 220
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Jaguar wrote:I have the software for that
What info do you need?

Bike has the 12oz, and 12-53 sprockets....she's a slowpoke who was used to a TTR tractor
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

The Girlfriend Paradigm

Post by SS109 »

Did you ever adjust the timing? A little more advance can make a noticeable difference. Along with an exhaust spacer/ring and the reed spacer it could make for a very noticeable gain in the low end. The only option left after the RB mods I would think would be to change the porting. I'm sure someone like Eric Gorr could get you taken care of.

As for bars. CR high bends are a very popular choice for taller riders so I'd imagine they would work well in your situation. 7/8" vs 1 1/8", honestly, either will work and the '7/8" bars are way cheaper. I've run the 7/8" Tusk brand with no problems. Some say they're soft but I have had some nasty get offs and they didn't bend.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
david

Post by david »

The KX high bend bars are 1/2" taller than CR high bends (4.0" vs. 3.5"), or you could go with an ATV bend @ 6"-7"
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

take a look at this page of mine: http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/BRW.html
hardest part is finding room for the extension
david

Post by david »

Jaguar wrote:take a look at this page of mine: http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/BRW.html
hardest part is finding room for the extension
Hey Jaguar, I was looking the the "3 stroke" engine on your site and I believe Honda already has a similar, industrial engine they have been working on. Google 'new honda two stroke' and you will find the patent/design drawings.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki