1989 KDX200 Brake Light Switch

Got questions? We got answers....
TimD

Post by TimD »

Hi All,
I'm trying to restore my '89KDX200. Best case scenario is that I am able to do so all with stock parts, just because I'm being slightly stubborn. I'd really like to get the brake light working (hasn't worked since I bought it used 10 years ago). I just need the switch for it, but can't for the life of me find one online, or even what it may look like! I've spent countless hours searching for one. I have the wiring harness, right up to what looks like a fuse "box" that mounts to a bracket on the frame. That fuse housing is where it all broke off, so I need to replace the whole switch from the plug-in wires near the bracket, on down to the pedal. Anyone have a good photo they could share? Or or off bike is fine. Anyone have an extra they could salvage and sell me? Any help would be appreciated!
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 1989 KDX200 Brake Light Switch

Post by 6 Riders »

So, first off, KDXs don't have a stock brake light. Although it uses a dual filament bulb, the socket isn't actually dual filament. Now, you can add the dual filament socket and a brake light switch. It's pretty easy and you can find the switches themselves fairly easy.
Is that what you are thinking about doing?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

my advise would be to forget about the rear brake switch and mount a hydraulic switch right in the brake reservoir
I did that on my plated KDX, it replaces the banjo bolt that attaches the hose to the reservoir and cost me about 12 dollars I think
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Another problem you may find is the lighting coil may not have enough output to power a brake light along with the headlight and tail light. Typical output is only around 40 watts. Most likely you will need to upgrade to 80 watts or so.

There is much posted on this site on how to re-wind your coil for higher output. Another option is to just buy an 85 watt lighting coil from Ricky Stator. IIRC, cost is around $85.00. Another option is to put a resistor in the tail light circuit. The brake light switch circuit would bypass the resistor, causing the bulb to be brighter. And another option might be to use a rechargeable battery to power the brake light. Just be sure the battery has a full charge before you go out for a ride.
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

diymirage wrote:my advise would be to forget about the rear brake switch and mount a hydraulic switch right in the brake reservoir
I did that on my plated KDX, it replaces the banjo bolt that attaches the hose to the reservoir and cost me about 12 dollars I think
Do you know what the bolt size is for the front brake caliper?
10x1.25? im not sure i wont be around my bike to check till this weekend.
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

sorry bro, I tried looking it up on the various parts diagrams but im not finding the right size, just a description
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

I bought a tusk light kit at eBay for a yamaha wr450 and uses the same universal kit for nissin brakes. Now the kit is installed in my KDX and it fits, so I think any nissin equipped dirt bike like Hondas, yamahas and suzukis use the same nissin type banjo bolt brake switch. Hope this helps
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
hbgod

Post by hbgod »

diymirage wrote:sorry bro, I tried looking it up on the various parts diagrams but im not finding the right size, just a description
its alright wasnt sure if you had a thread from the new one. its alright im gonna just check mine with a thread tool when i get home.
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!