Missing VR + Low Blk/Y & Red Voltage

Got questions? We got answers....
coal miner

Missing VR + Low Blk/Y & Red Voltage

Post by coal miner »

Looking for some assistance troubleshooting a low voltage situation from the lighting coil of a 2004 kdx200. I have done quite a lot of searching but haven't found anyone attempting this repair with this unique situation.

I will be trying to install a Trail Tech Striker (9-50VAC required, also bout a Voyager but it needs 12VDC) on the lighting circuit this week. The entire lighting circuit has been removed including the VR, lighting ON/OFF switch and lights, but all of the pigtails and "banana" plugs are still intact. Non of the original main harness has been cut, everything was just unplugged and taped up.

With the bike running at idle, and meter leads on the red & blk/y i am seeing 3-4VAC, and the same from the female pigtail that would be connected to the VR (brown & blk/y). The coils tested at 331ohm, and 2.1ohm from the stator, which shows within spec.

I have ordered a used VR off ebay to start putting the bike back to correct, however, to my understanding, the VR is in place to lower the voltage down to the +/-12VAC, and I am below that already.

I have a tentative trip planned this next weekend with the bike and given that the VR won't be here for at least 3-4 days, I am hoping that the vast information those of you have gathered over the years will help me figure out whether the VR will fix the problem or I need to look in other directions before i run out of time. In other words does 3-4VAC from the aforementioned wires sound about right without the VR, light switch or lighting installed, so that when the VR shows up all is well.

Thanks in advance
Casey