A couple questions: Knock, Jetting and Brakes

Got questions? We got answers....
NWRider

Post by NWRider »

First let me start off by saying that having been riding this bike for about 5 months now, i am having an absolute blast and have found so much great info on this site. This being my first 2 stroke (except stand ups) i didn't really understand the characteristics and noises they make, all i knew after test riding was i had to buy this bike. Sorry for getting off topic i get excited talking about this bike :grin: Back to the topic the bike seems to make a lot of noise both bottom end (very very loud) praying i'm not looking at a bearing here and what sounds like valve noise? I was also having issues with the bike dying at idle after it got up to temp, even coming down hill it would just sputter out and die. Changed the clip position and fixed. The first 10-20 mins into a ride the bike is a monster but it seems to lose power as the ride goes on also starts to "sputter" alot like all the time actually. When i get into 3rd it seems to run like it should. Would that be a pilot issue? Finally i have been battling a dragging rear brake and now a dragging front. The front is not near as bad and just started but i have had the rear apart,cleaned and serviced it. The pad hangers were pretty bent from a poor install by the previous owner i assume yet still dragging. Any ideas? Thanks for any help guys.
P.S this is a 2006 200
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

I'm not sure about the very loud noises coming from the bottom end, maybe someone else could address that, it may be somehow related to your issue. It sounds like the sputtering and dying is carb related, maybe spark plug? Check to make sure it's the right spark plug and it's gapped correctly, that could cause loud noises. Fuel line clogged up? Is your fuel cap vent hose clogged? Dirty jets? Floats stuck? The fact that you changed the clip position and it made a difference may mean it's carb related unless it's something related to the very loud bottom end valve noise, not sure what that is or what problems it might be causing.
If your problem is carb and jetting related, here's a couple very good post on 2-stroke carb jetting adjustment. Maybe a good place to start after finding out what that loud bottom end noise is (don't think that's normal).

I found these posts pretty easy to understand. Have you repacked your exhaust? If it's a new bike to you, I'd put a new weisco piston and rings in it. The original KDX piston skirts sometimes fracture and break off into the engine. I'm sure you know to have kips valves adjusted. You can tell if you need new crank bearings by checking out the play after you have the top end off. Tolerences are in the service manual. Get a service manual.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/347305 ... read-here/

http://forum.dirtrider.com/discussion/7 ... ng-faqs/p1