KIPS sub-valves - need ideas!

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

OK, as some have read, I broke both of my sub-valves and Kawasaki has discontinued them. I'm seriously considering selling the bike, or even parting it out, and moving on. However, juliend mentioned epoxying them in place in whatever position I wanted them. Having the SV's in a fixed position might be bearable for a while so I would like to give it a shot before I give up and sell/part her. However, I wouldn't want to epoxy them in permanently just in case new or upgraded versions become available.

So, any ideas on how to secure the valves in position that isn't quite so hard to reverse down the road?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KIPS sub-valves - need ideas!

Post by newbbewb »

if the gears aren't stripped, assemble everything so the subvalves are open, but without the actuator arm on the side. The valves have nowhere to go and the steel rod should hold it in place, so secure the steel rack assembly?
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Put an H series motor in it?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

newbbewb wrote:if the gears aren't stripped, assemble everything so the subvalves are open, but without the actuator arm on the side. The valves have nowhere to go and the steel rod should hold it in place, so secure the steel rack assembly?
The sub-valves are broken in two just below the gears on both sides.
6 Riders wrote:Put an H series motor in it?
Never, ever!
'11 GasGas EC250R
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I'm on a vacation in Vietnam now, but wheen I get back to Cambodia, I can send you some links to people who have done it (or just search my old posts). Would just taking out the valve be the equivalent of epoxying them open?

Alternatively, I can see if my steel valve work out well (I'll probably pull them in 1-2 months). I might try and have some made of aluminum as well... If you're not in a hurry, I could send some to you by December. I could have some made much sooner (maybe even out of aluminum if wear is one of your fears), but I assume no responsibility for what happens! You could test them out and see what happens... Mine (steel ones) seem to work well, but I don't have any other reference. Not sure how the bike handled before. I definitely can't pop a wheelie easily though (I thought it would be a matter of twisting the throttle). Given that they've been discontinued, I'll look further into having copies made (maybe look at aluminum as well, which I hadnt previously considered).
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Bitteeinit wrote:I'm on a vacation in Vietnam now, but wheen I get back to Cambodia, I can send you some links to people who have done it (or just search my old posts). Would just taking out the valve be the equivalent of epoxying them open?

Alternatively, I can see if my steel valve work out well (I'll probably pull them in 1-2 months). I might try and have some made of aluminum as well... If you're not in a hurry, I could send some to you by December. I could have some made much sooner (maybe even out of aluminum if wear is one of your fears), but I assume no responsibility for what happens! You could test them out and see what happens... Mine (steel ones) seem to work well, but I don't have any other reference. Not sure how the bike handled before. I definitely can't pop a wheelie easily though (I thought it would be a matter of twisting the throttle). Given that they've been discontinued, I'll look further into having copies made (maybe look at aluminum as well, which I hadnt previously considered).
I'll have to look at the cylinder and study it a bit. Maybe I can just leave them out. If I can find some something to hold me over until you can have some more made, yes, I would love a set! I would prefer aluminum (2024 or 7075 alloys would be ideal I think) but if steel is the only option then I'm good with that. Let me know!
'11 GasGas EC250R
bbsdaddy1221

Post by bbsdaddy1221 »

Ss109, when you say "sub-valve" are you referring to the left and right kips valves. I've looked on three sites and the only part of the kips system that is discontinued and not long buy able is the gov. rod. Everything else you can order hell I just did while whole system two months ago

Please please please don't jerry rig somthing in the motor on that beautiful bike or part it out and kill another white Kdx.

P.s. I no it's not a real white bike but it's all the same to and hell it's even nicer. I figured ide out that out there cuz I'm sure someone would mention that
1990 KDX200 green/blue---- weekend warrior
1980 CB750c brat---- my twisty machine
2013 CRF50---- my little buddies ride
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

bbsdaddy1221 wrote:Ss109, when you say "sub-valve" are you referring to the left and right kips valves. I've looked on three sites and the only part of the kips system that is discontinued and not long buy able is the gov. rod. Everything else you can order hell I just did while whole system two months ago

Please please please don't jerry rig somthing in the motor on that beautiful bike or part it out and kill another white Kdx.

P.s. I no it's not a real white bike but it's all the same to and hell it's even nicer. I figured ide out that out there cuz I'm sure someone would mention that
Yes, the left and right sub-valves. Someone else just ordered them a month ago but I tried and everyone is telling me discontinued. I talked with a few Kawasaki dealers trying to get some with no luck. I'm sure some websites just haven't updated their parts fiche on the availability yet. Thanks on my bike. I love it but, without being able to get sub-valves, it will never be the awesome bike it should be. If Bitteeinit can't get me hooked up I will probably have to part her out unless I come up with some great idea on how to repair them or have some made. Of course, I found a few good deals on bikes locally (Gas Gas EC250, YZ250, and a Husky WR300) that would serve me well and I am awfully tempted to jump on one of them.

Long shot but... if someone has a brand new pair of left and right sub-valves they would lone for it, and the KDX community wanted to come together to help foot the bill, I can have them reverse engineered by one of the 3D laser imaging services for around $500 each (maybe it would be cheaper for doing both - have to check). Then we would have a file containing all the dimensionally correct info to send to a CNC machinist who then could crank them out in whatever material we wanted. I know it's not cheap but I'm not confident about any company stepping up to manufacture them in the future. Like I said, a crazy idea. However, how long do we have to find a perfect pair and get them in a CAD format before they are all too damaged or broken? We may never have this chance again!
'11 GasGas EC250R
bbsdaddy1221

Post by bbsdaddy1221 »

Ok bud I just called my big kawi dealer here in tulsa and they can get both if them in a matter of days and they oem parts ready to go. You want there name and number?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

What about having a machine shop drill out both pieces of each valve and press fit a rod to join them together?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

bbsdaddy1221 wrote:Ok bud I just called my big kawi dealer here in tulsa and they can get both if them in a matter of days and they oem parts ready to go. You want there name and number?
Yes!
'11 GasGas EC250R
bbsdaddy1221

Post by bbsdaddy1221 »

Action powersports (918)838-8001 you'll have to wait ill Tuesday cuz no bike shope around here is open on Sunday or Monday

Good luck buddy
bbsdaddy1221

Post by bbsdaddy1221 »

Oh and just FYI there very nice people over there and I'll help you a lot but if you have any trouble with the shipping just lmk and I get me to ya
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Thanks! I'll call them then. I'm not going to get my hopes up too high as I have been here before with parts. Dealer says they can get them, place order, and a few days later they call me back and say the parts are discontinued and give me a refund. However, I really hope I'm wrong!
'11 GasGas EC250R
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Has anybody tried to contact BDK with this discontinuation information per this thread?
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 77&t=15296
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

sarrant wrote:Has anybody tried to contact BDK with this discontinuation information per this thread?
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 77&t=15296
Yep, sent them an email same day I discovered it.

BTW, I found a right valve but can't source a left one anywhere. Not really a big issue for me now as things have changed. :wink: Still would like to get it fixed or I'll have to parts way with my beloved E-series!
'11 GasGas EC250R
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

I also sent them an e-mail through e-bay listing of the kmx200 sub-valve listing, here's my message sent 9/30/2014 :

The KDX200 E-series (1989-1994) kips sub-valves have been discontinued and are in HIGH demand. This includes:

12005 Valve, Exhaust Left Hand - (very high demand)
12005A Valve Exhaust Right Hand - (high demand)
59051 Gear Spur, Idle - (high demand)
92143A Collar, Valve - (part of the set)

Any chance of fabricating?

Please visit KDXRIDER.NET

I'll update this post when I get a response. Anything I should add? I wouldn't be surprised if they ask for new valves to copy.
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

Keystone wrote: I'll update this post when I get a response. Anything I should add? I wouldn't be surprised if they ask for new valves to copy.
Sums it up pretty well.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

i have a set of damn near new, mint condition valves/collars/idler I could LOAN to the cause of fabrication. FWIW, I can get them made, but it would be around the $1000 mark for the first set. They would be CNC aluminum. If enough people need them, which I don't, I can move forward on the project.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I still have the set of brand new ones I ordered to make copies of. I guess I ordered right before they were discontinued. I'm going to try to get my hands on a set of bushings and maybe the idle gear when I go back to Canada in December. I'll check if I can get those made as well. I'll also go ask the machine shop I visited if they can make them out of aluminum. Most likely they can, but I'm not sure how that will affect wear/cost and all. The only reason I had them made of steel was because I was worried about durability and the difficulty I would have getting my hands on a pair while in Cambodia (though it now seems obvious that it'll be hard to get hands on any type of set now regardless of where you live). For sure I can get some made, but as others have pointed out, getting bushings and an idle gear would also be ideal. I'm a bit worried about my bushings now as one was definitely slightly larger than the other one...