New Bike maintenance

Got questions? We got answers....
throttleout
Supporting Member

New Bike maintenance

Post by throttleout »

So, now that I'm inspecting my new bike more I've come to think that it hasn't had any maintenance. Maybe ever! For sure it needs wheel bearings front and back. I'm replacing those now. The bottom linkage is so worn that I can move the swing arm at least an inch or two up and down before the shock ever engages. There's a minute amount of play in the steering head. The sprocket are worn, and I can pull the chain about an 1/8" from the rear sprocket. Both rims have good size dent/ bends or what have you. I'm new to dirt bike maintenance so I have some questions. Also, keep in mind that I'm on a budget, but I'm mechanically inclined so I should be able to handle how this on my own:) That's why I bought a $750 bike.

1. How far should I take the maintenance on the rear suspension?

2. Does the steering head bearings need replacing giving the small amount of play? I don't know if there's supposed to be no play at all or not.

3. Can I get by a while with out replacing the chain and sprockets? What's negative about them being worn?

4. Will I notice the rim imperfections?

5. Should I do anything to the top, and what would that be?

6. What else should I look into?

I've gone through the newb thread, and done the basic stuff. Anyways, I'm looking for guidance. Here's some pics for reference.

2000 KDX 200
RB carb mod
FMF rev, power core
Race tech gold valves
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Bike maintenance

Post by Sullyfam »

Not sure what your budget is, but I would replace all the bearings if you have that much play and from the looks of the sprockets replace them along with the chain. As for the wheels, I cannot see the images very well, but a few dents or nicks are fine. I would check them for trueness, cracks then torque the spokes as needed. How does the engine run and how does it shift through the gears? Brakes OK? Even if all seems fine engine wise I am guessing a good carb clean is in order. The end goal doesn't have to be a pristine machine - they are dirt bikes after all. However, I would immediately address anything safety related and bad wheels, steering, suspension and drive train all fit into that category IMO. All that said, there are many here that can give more detailed and sage advise than me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

First, welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase. As sully said the goal is not a showroom bike, but one that is mechanically sound and safe. Being mechanically inclined will help a lot, but the first thing you have to swallow is that owning a dirt bike (and not just an older one, as it applies to the new bikes as well) means spending money. The trick is to spend it where it does the most good. As for your specific questions heres' my .02$
throttleout wrote:1. How far should I take the maintenance on the rear suspension?
You HAVE to fix it. Period. It's a safety thing more than a performance one. All new bearings/sleeves in the swingarm/linkages. Just search the site for linkage and see that this is the most neglected part of these bikes. The old bearings can be pressed out in the home shop easily. Same goes for the wheel bearings, easy to do and worth every penny (and a recurring maintenance job). Just keep in mind that the rear wheel has a circlip on the sprocket side that has to be removed before you can drive out the bearing. For that matter you do have the most important purchase, right? Your manual? You can even easily rebuild the rear shock (depending on the year of your bike) at home with common tools.
throttleout wrote:2. Does the steering head bearings need replacing giving the small amount of play? I don't know if there's supposed to be no play at all or not.
There should be no play in the steering head. If there is replace the bearings AND the races. DON'T put new bearings in old races...just don't do it...ever...
throttleout wrote:3. Can I get by a while with out replacing the chain and sprockets? What's negative about them being worn?
Your chain and sprocket are showing noticeable wear, but would be the last thing I would spend money on if I were you. Did you remove the case saver, or was it not present? That would be higher on my list than a new chain. Lots of folks might just flame me for saying it, but the whole point of owning a dirt bike is riding it, and you can still ride with that chain and sprockets while you focus on repairing the bigger issues. Would be the top of my list for the next season for sure. When you do replace them always replace chain and sprockets at the same time. Plenty of info on the site about regular vs. o-ring, etc when you get to that point.
throttleout wrote:4. Will I notice the rim imperfections?
Depends on if they are affecting the trueness of the wheels. They both look like you may be able to apply some heat (with the tires removed of course) and persuade (read hit with a mallet) them back to shape. You will want to check them for true and balance of course.
throttleout wrote:5. Should I do anything to the top, and what would that be?
If you mean top end, that is a difficult question to answer without knowing a lot more info. Is it a 200 or 220?, How's it running? What does your plug look like?
throttleout wrote:6. What else should I look into?
A good carb claning is never a bad idea, especially on a new to you bike. New air filter, check the reeds. Ensure that your intake tract (air boot, air box, filter, reeds/cage, carb, fuel line/petcock/tank) are all mechanically sound with no tears, missing parts, etc. Same goes for the exhaust tract (all pipe mounts, springs, silencer drained/repacked, no major dents in expansion chamber). Check your oil to make sure it's not a milky color/consistency. Brakes are functional and in spec. If all that is good then ride the thing and work on the problems that come up while doing regular maintenance on the rest. Just don't do like 85% of people and fix all the cosmetic stuff first thinking that is going to make any difference. Ask lots of questions, search the site, read the forums...these are old bikes and just about EVERY question ever asked is in here somewhere!
throttleout
Supporting Member

New Bike maintenance

Post by throttleout »

Thanks for the advice. The bike is a 2000 KDX200. So does that mean my rear shock is rebuild-able? As far as the linkage/swingarm maintenance goes, is this the kit I need? http://www.allballsracing.com/27-1036.html

I am going to wait on the chain and sprocket until I get all my bearings squared away. The case saver was missing. I'll look for one of those. Truthfully I didn't even notice it wasn't there.

Checking the wheels for trueness, is that something that I would take to be done giving no experience. I hear that's somewhat of an art.

I did mean top end. I haven't checked the plug. I have cleaned the carb and air filter. The bike runs good, but I think it could be better with jetting. I wouldn't know what to look for on the reeds.....There are some major dents in the pipe.

Thanks for the help :cool:
2000 KDX 200
RB carb mod
FMF rev, power core
Race tech gold valves
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

That all balls kit is what you need, but buy it from RMATV, along with the other parts that you need, like the stearing bearings and wheel bearings. It will save you some $$ and orders over $100 ship for free.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
throttleout
Supporting Member

Post by throttleout »

Another question. I'm having trouble getting the rear wheel bearings out. The c clip is out. There isn't any play with the axle sleeve to be able to move it so I can get a bite on the inner bearing race. The front wheel bearings came out easily. Any tips or do I need a tool at this point?

Should I do anything with the shock besides the bearings with the linkage and stuff? What's my options here?

Thanks
2000 KDX 200
RB carb mod
FMF rev, power core
Race tech gold valves
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Bike maintenance

Post by IDRIDR »

Hi throttleout,

I'm in the same boat as you. Just picked up an '04 220 a few weeks ago and am going through her pretty much top to bottom.

I pulled my rear wheel bearings out last night. Fortunately for me, the sleeve/spacer easily slid to the side giving room to drift out the bearings. I'd say keep trying to get that spacer to move to the side somewhere. Maybe a little carefully applied heat would help?

Will be looking at linkage bearings tonight and expect to change the little needle bearing as you are. I plan to service the shock. Found a fair thread here this morning and saved the link (but on another computer so I don't have it now). There was a photo of shock service kit parts. If nothing else, drain and replace the oil and give it a fresh charge. I will probably be splurging for new springs down to road, but that's going to wait until I know its a strong runner.

Can any of the gurus here point us to some shock service threads, sites, or videos?
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
throttleout
Supporting Member

New Bike maintenance

Post by throttleout »

IDRIDR, I found the linkage kit for 45 bucks on amazon. That's like half price! Here's the link.

Point me towards some shock info if you run across it again. Thanks man.
2000 KDX 200
RB carb mod
FMF rev, power core
Race tech gold valves
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Bike maintenance

Post by IDRIDR »

This is one thread I found. I can't find the photo of the shock rebuild kit though. Will keep looking.
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=428

I found a kit at RMATV: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/10 ... 0kit%20kdx

They also make a good how to video: http://youtu.be/0_InEnom2ec

Checked last night and surprisingly all the needle bearings are in good shape. A few of the seals should be replaced so I'm going to see if I can get just the seals.

The PO pulled the odometer cable and odometer, but didn't plug the odo gear on the hub. The gear is all rusty filled with grit, so just ebay'd a used one.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

throttleout wrote:IDRIDR, I found the linkage kit for 45 bucks on amazon. That's like half price! Here's the link.

Point me towards some shock info if you run across it again. Thanks man.
I have geard that all balls bearings are much inferior to oem or pivot works bearings and most on this site would avoid them.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I have used OEM, Pivot Works,and All Balls. I am currently running All Balls in everything but the steering stem and have never had an issue. Properly maintained I find they last just as long as the Pivot Works, at half the price of OEM. Did you have luck getting your rear wheel bearings out? To move that spacer when it's tight you can use a heat gun to warm up the hub then insert a big long screwdriver about halfway and lever the spacer over. Once you start working one side or the other it will be real loose. As for the rear shock, clean it up and see if it's leaking. If not some fresh oil and a nitrogen charge (less than $20 total) will get you on the trail. Keeping with your budget mindset the last thing I'd worry about is rebuilding a shock that is working fine. Save those pennies up for suspension upgrades, because the bike needs to be sprung for your weight, and do the rebuild then. IMO