KIPS R shaft O ring - how bad not to have?

Got questions? We got answers....
crs

KIPS R shaft O ring - how bad not to have?

Post by crs »

Just rebuilt bike and tested KIPS - it was opening jerkily and closing very slowly (looking through with the L cover removed). Disassembled and that little O ring on the R shaft is the culprit - it was a little warped. What will happen if I run without this fitted? (Not easy for me to get parts local and will take weeks to order in.)

Read some threads where people say you'll get 'spooging' if it's not fitted... What is this? Bad?

Cheers.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: KIPS R shaft O ring - how bad not to have?

Post by KarlP »

You do need that 0-ring but can run without for a while if you don't mind the mess. Exhaust gasses will come out the RH kips cover.

When you say rebuilt, did you get the cylinder plated? Prior to plating the cylinder gets pickled to remove the old coating. That pickling process can make the bore where that RH rod goes very rough. I used a rod wrapped with sandpaper on a drill to smooth it out.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
crs

Post by crs »

OK - thanks. Will have to try find something similar local. Yes, I did get it plated...
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

That roughness is also what causes the KIPS to be sticky.
Unfortunately, you can't smooth that bore out without removing the cylinder. I rode it like that for a year........
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy