Case bolts

Got questions? We got answers....
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Case bolts

Post by Dekon »

So apparently the cases have never been split in the bikes 25 year exsistance. Having soaked all the bolts holding the cases together with Kroil, they will not budge. Do you think it is wise to use an impact gun on them? I have a HF electric one that has been a huge life saver when working on the KDX. Just not sure if you should use it on these bolts.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Case bolts

Post by SS109 »

Hmm, that would be kind of scary! Have you tired heating the areas where the bolts actually thread in to it?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bbsdaddy1221

Re: Case bolts

Post by bbsdaddy1221 »

Well just remember that when two unlike metals touch, over time with moisture in the air they will corrode. A little trick in the field is to put a good amount of pressure on the bolt and take a little matel hammer and tap it at the closest point to the threads and then tap all down the bolt line and you should be able to break em loose
1990 KDX200 green/blue---- weekend warrior
1980 CB750c brat---- my twisty machine
2013 CRF50---- my little buddies ride
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Or use a hand held impact driver, the kind you whack with a hammer, I have had good luck on smaller bolts with that (combined with a little heat and penetrating oil)
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Case bolts

Post by Dekon »

Haven't tried the heat method yet. I do have a hand held impact driver, needed it to get the screws loose on the stator plate; never thought of trying that. Just checked and I have an 8mm nut driver socket that fits right in it.

I was afraid the impact gun might have to much power and just snap those small 8mm bolts. That's why I asked the experts here.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

impact gun will snap em right off if they're that stuck. I deal with stuck bolts and nuts all day long. these guys mentioned before and I will say the same, heat the threaded area of the case and use an impact driver. The only thing I can say is that to let them heat cycle a couple times. Heat the case where the threads are with a MAPP gas torch, hit it with the impact driver a couple times. If no go, let it cool. Then heat it up again and smack the impact driver real good. repeat. after 4-5 times if it doesn't come out, I've got nothing and good luck.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

Let the kroil do it's job,be patient.Forcing the bolts out with an impact will most likely peel the thread right out of the case.90%atf and 10% acetone makes a great penetrating oil,we use it on machinery exposed to caustic washdown 3 times a day an it works superior to anything we have tried.