2006 KDX200

Got questions? We got answers....
BlkDakDave

2006 KDX200

Post by BlkDakDave »

Picked up a used 2006 over the weekend. BTW this is my second KDX (2000) but sold it about 8 years ago. Now back to my current one. The 2006 started up and initially idled well while warming it up for a test ride. Just about the time I was ready to put in gear the RPM's suddenly started getting higher and higher. I shut it down and re-started the bike. RPM's back to normal so I took off. Going through the gears, all seemed normal and as I slowed to turn around the RPM's once again started running away. Shut it down, started it back up, again normal idle. Rode a few more laps and again the RPM's stared running away. Despite this, along with the rusted chain, bad rear sprocket (front CS looked OK but will still change) and faded plastics, I bought the bike.
Once I got the bike back home I started tearing it down. Air filter - total crap, air box - full of crap. Carburetor - full of crud. Plan on a good cleaning, rebuild and replacing the jets.

Now back to my original problem, the RPM's running away. I looked at the throttle cable(s) all seemed good with no binding when moving the handle bars. My question is what could have caused the engine (RPM's) to suddenly run away like that? Thanks in advance.
NEVER FORGET!
KDX_Johnny

2006 KDX200

Post by KDX_Johnny »

You answered your own question there! It's all the crud! Have you ever ridden a bike that's about to run out of fuel? The RPMs run away from you and then the bike dies (ran out of fuel). So your bike was just starving for fuel due to crud build up. So make sure you replace that top end! It's probably scored pretty well if he ran it that way for a while!
Just a square trying to ram myself into that circular hole...
bbsdaddy1221

Re: 2006 KDX200

Post by bbsdaddy1221 »

Man I just don't get some people. How could you have somthing so nice newer and not take care of it, I just don't get it. Well good for you though if you got it cheap. Hope is at a good home and in better hands now. Have fun and good luck with it
1990 KDX200 green/blue---- weekend warrior
1980 CB750c brat---- my twisty machine
2013 CRF50---- my little buddies ride
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

Thanks guys! Appreciate the quick replies and information. Looking forward to ripping into this bike and bringing it back to life. My boys back in Texas first question was "are you bringing it back when you come back in 2016?" We all ride "Green" and they're looking to add another one to the stable. My older (but smaller)son rides a 2012 KX250F and the younger (but bigger) rides a 2009 KX450F. In my profile you'll notice that I have a 2008 KLR650 and a 2010 KLX250 that I put a 331cc big bore kit on. Like I said, we all ride "Green."

I do have (at least for now) a couple of other questions. Pulled the main jet and due to the crud,I do not see any marking on what size it is. Checking the inter-web it appears that stock is 158 while the pilot is a 48. Does this sound right? Also looking at putting a 13t CS with a 49t rear steel sprocket with a DZ2 520 120 links. Do y'all see any problems with the 2 sprockets and chain? Once again -- thanks in advance!
NEVER FORGET!
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Stock on a 200 from 95-2006 was a 160mj and a 48pj with an 1174 needle in the 3rd clip. Which is CRAZY rich. I'm not the best at jetting but I have learned a lot on this site with it. So if you have any jetting questions look for help from one of the masters! If you want to run stock everything more power to ya! But you can get that extra little boost just by running the pilot circuit and seeing what other jets you can run! As far as chain and sprockets go. Stock is 13/47 I love the stock setting so I just renewed those numbers with a Renthal CS sprocket, Renthal twin ring Rear sprocket and a D.I.D 520 X-ring chain. But every man has his own preference. So run what you feel!
OH! And with the stock 13/47 I use a 110 length chain and still have to cut two links off. Just as a reference for you!
Just a square trying to ram myself into that circular hole...
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

KDX_Johnny, thanks for clarifying the information what the stock jets are. I was also under the impression that the CS was 14t. Good information for sure!
NEVER FORGET!