KDX250 sprocket recomendations

Got questions? We got answers....
Little Jerry

Post by Little Jerry »

Hi

Looking at replacing my sprockets and was after opinions on what size front and back to purchase.

Mainly do tight single trail woods riding and currently rarely get out of 2nd gear exccept for the odd firetrail straight.

It currently has the stock 14/48 setup.

Appreciate any help.

Regards

Adamm
KDX_Johnny

Re: KDX250 sprocket recomendations

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Well what's your question? Are you looking to ride up in 3rd? It sounds to me like you have a fine set up. Most trail bikes rarely see 3rd or 4th. If I'm on my 200 and I grab 4th I know I'm going too fast with 13/47 sprockets. The only thing I could reccomend if you'd like to see 3rd more often is drop a tooth in the front. But you will be shifting a lot more frequently. And the bite of the 250 will drag you along just nicely. But if you want that little extra torque and ONLY do tight single track then drop to a 13 in the front or raise to a 50 in the back. That's all you'll need. OH! BUT VERY IMPORTANT! When it comes to replacing sprockets they all go in as one and come off as one. They wear together so if you're dead set on changing your sprockets be prepared to buy a new chain and other sprocket too.
Just a square trying to ram myself into that circular hole...
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Posted this on the wrong thread..oops. Agree with KDX_Johnny and below is the post I meant for this thread!

So what about your current setup are you not liking? Typically in tighter trails more acceleration is desired, but it really boils down to rider preference which is why a little more detail is needed. Here is a decent article on the subject that will help as well.

[url=http://www.motosport.com/blog/the-ultim ... ring-guide]http://www.motosport.com/blog/the-ultim ... ring-guide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

I run 13 51 on mine, it works well. With the stock gearing I think it would run 100.
Little Jerry

Post by Little Jerry »

Thanks guys

I guess I was considering lowering the gearing a little, I really feel like I need a ratio that sits in between 1st and 2nd gear with the current setup, and just seeing if anyone had done something similar.

The front sprocket is missing a tooth and the rear sprocket could double as a ninja star, so they need replacing (recently purchased bike)
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I ran 13/50 on mine and it was great here in the dez. Still plenty fast for wide open stuff as I had it up to 84.9mph and had plenty of throttle left.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R