IDRIDR's 2004 KDX220 Questions Thread

Got questions? We got answers....
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

A couple Thursday morning questions

Post by IDRIDR »

Hello all,

My project is moving along with just a few snags. A couple more questions if you'll allow....

The cylinder was deglazed (not honed, as I previously thought). I read here or somewhere now what I want to do is clean it up nicely and install. So, what is the recommended cleaning approach? I found one link suggesting take a scotch bright pad and warm soapy water to the cylinder, scrub it down thoroughly. Wipe with a white paper towel. If the towel doesn't come out clean, go at scrubbing again. After the deglazing, I sprayed down the cylinder walls with carb cleaner very thoroughly and wiped clean with a shop cloth, then coated with two stroke oil, installed the power valve parts, and wrapped it in a towel for later installation. Do I need to now disassemble the power valve parts again and take the scrubby and soapy water to the cylinder?

Most of the power valve system was removed, cleaned, inspected, and re-installed. Lucky me, I twisted the "holder" screw in half, the hollow one with the spring and ball bearing, leaving part in the cylinder. Removal of the stuck part was easy, but now waiting on Ma Kaw's shipping of a replacement so I'm in wait mode. [edit, the part arrived so I'm ready to build now.]

During cleaning, I couldn't figure out how to remove the main exhaust valve and holder (the two parts in the lower left of this photo, below, which I found on ebay). I sprayed these down well with carb cleaner until they were moving smoothly, but just couldn't get them out. Should they be removed for further cleaning, and if so, how?

Thanks much!

Last edited by IDRIDR on 03:49 pm Oct 03 2014, edited 1 time in total.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

IDRIDR's 2004 KDX220 Questions Thread

Post by IDRIDR »

Bump for my questions ^
Thanks.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.