IDRIDR's 2004 KDX220 Questions Thread

Got questions? We got answers....
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Greetings KDX owners.
I picked up an '04 KDX220 a couple weeks ago and am going through her thoroughly first. Bike looks mostly stock and in good condition but certainly needs maintenance. The goal is to have a trail riding machine with good low end grunt.

1) It looks like it has a stock piston as it's stamped with an arrow and "C." Only pulled the head so far and will go deeper soon. Assuming the piston is stock and therefore absolutely needs replaced, do I go with Wossner or Wiseco? http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 77&t=16320

2) Carb was dirty outside but surprisingly clean inside with no varnish whatsoever. Jets are 42 pilot and 145 primary. Are these stock? [edit: yes, will follow the jetting guide.]

3) Pipes appear to be FMF torque with FMF silencer. Will be repacking the silencer.

4) The headlight is missing and the rear fender is aftermarket with no lights. I'll be looking to rewind the stator and install some good lighting. I have an extra trailtech X2 halogen that could be used.

I want to see that it runs well first then go to other items including drive train, bearings, and suspension.

Thanks!
Last edited by IDRIDR on 08:55 am Sep 22 2014, edited 3 times in total.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
superman27e

Re: IDRIDR's 2004 KDX220 Questions Thread

Post by superman27e »

Wiseco is the best, imo.

As for the jets, I believe the stock jets are 160 main and 48 slow. But since it has the fmf on it, they probably changed it to get better jetting results.
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Hi, welcome and congrats on your new to you bike. 42/145 is the stock jetting for the kdx220. definitely she is pig rich from factory and needs to be jetted right, I'm running 38/138 and she is a wheely machine but you need to go through the jetting guide to get it run properly because it depends of your riding conditions and every bike is different.

About the pipe I have the pro circuit platinum and also have the fmf gnarly for my the pro circuit have the best performance for the 220 but it depends of your riding style and terrain.

My stator was installed yesterday after I rewound it following the Slick Nick instructions,is a great modification for about $10 and can be done in a couple of hours with the proper tools.

You need to change the stock piston for a wiseco prolite as soon as possible the factory ones tend to fail without any advice and you will end up spending a lot of money repairing the engine if it happens. Good luck :supz:
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I run a wossner piston in my 220 only because they are extremely well made & nobody here in the UK likes running wiseco ...something to do with them being manufactured in japan & not up to the same quality/reliability as from the USA ( you may be fine stateside ).... Pipewise I have ran the FMF gnarley (woods) with powercore 2 silencer & also the Pro Circuit platimum pipe ..my opinion for woods ( seldom getting out of 3rd or 4th gear ) you cannot beat the FMF...period ..it gives the motor an excellent smooth grunt right off the throttle with a strong mid range...if you want top end then fit the P.C pipe...another great bolt on mod is fit the carb from a kdx 200 ( pwk 35mm ) run the 220 needle with the clip in the middle ( I run 38 pilot jet & 152/155 main jet...air box lid on.. x3 1inch Uni Filter extra holes in the lid & remove the snorkel ..also running 40.1 mix ) ..you can send the 220 carb off to Ron to be modded but the 200 carb works just as well..for a little more umph I run the boyesen rad valve . :grin:
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

superman27e wrote:Wiseco is the best, imo.
Based on following this site since joining, it seems a lot of folks stateside use Wiseco. Thanks.
Postigo wrote:Hi, welcome and congrats on your new to you bike. 42/145 is the stock jetting for the kdx220. .... but you need to go through the jetting guide to get it run properly because it depends of your riding conditions and every bike is different.

About the pipe I have the pro circuit platinum and also have the fmf gnarly for my the pro circuit have the best performance for the 220 but it depends of your riding style and terrain.

My stator was installed yesterday after I rewound it following the Slick Nick instructions,is a great modification for about $10 and can be done in a couple of hours with the proper tools.

You need to change the stock piston for a wiseco prolite as soon as possible the factory ones tend to fail without any advice and you will end up spending a lot of money repairing the engine if it happens. Good luck :supz:
Thank you. I will definitely go through the jetting guide. Any suggestions on jets, needles, etc to have on hand are welcomed. I'm at 3,000 ft and typically ride up from here, sometimes up to above 10,000 but we rarely spend time at that elevation (a ridge crossing is typical). Humidity typically low. Temperatures from 40 to 90 F typical. The silencer is FMF TurbineCore 2. Reeds appear to be stock.

My riding style is like a 47 year old guy cruising trails, usually not on the faster side of our group. Targeting a setup for steep, rocky technical mountainous terrain from spring through fall, although the bike may also run some open desert in winter to early spring. I'm not looking to race. Plan to follow the stator rewind and get the new piston before riding any more. I was surprised to find a 220 with an intact piston based on all the reports here, which tells me its likely this bike doesn't have a ton of hours.
cornishwrecker220 wrote:I run a wossner piston in my 220 only because they are extremely well made & nobody here in the UK likes running wiseco ...something to do with them being manufactured in japan & not up to the same quality/reliability as from the USA ( you may be fine stateside ).... Pipewise I have ran the FMF gnarley (woods) with powercore 2 silencer & also the Pro Circuit platimum pipe ..my opinion for woods ( seldom getting out of 3rd or 4th gear ) you cannot beat the FMF...period ..it gives the motor an excellent smooth grunt right off the throttle with a strong mid range...if you want top end then fit the P.C pipe...another great bolt on mod is fit the carb from a kdx 200 ( pwk 35mm ) run the 220 needle with the clip in the middle ( I run 38 pilot jet & 152/155 main jet...air box lid on.. x3 1inch Uni Filter extra holes in the lid & remove the snorkel ..also running 40.1 mix ) ..you can send the 220 carb off to Ron to be modded but the 200 carb works just as well..for a little more umph I run the boyesen rad valve . :grin:
Thanks. Can you point me to some threads on 200 carb on the 220?

Here she is on day of pickup.

2014 Suzuki DL1000.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Is this the stock 220 piston?

2014 Suzuki DL1000.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Wiseco's have numbers/letters stamped on the top and you can usually see the machining marks on the side of the piston.

Last edited by Tedh98 on 04:23 pm Sep 28 2014, edited 1 time in total.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Thanks. I figured out after looking at other pics it was stock and have a Wiseco ready to install now.

The KIPS parts looked okay to me:

I had the cylinder honed and was putting the power valve assembly back together and sheared holder screw with spring and ball bearing (part 13091) so will be waiting on Maw Kaw to get that one shipped. So, with time on hand, I'm going to service the wheels and suspension.

As she sat last night

Sprocket side of rear wheel looked like this:

Because the PO must have lost the collar/spacer and this is what was being used:

Where's the pulling-hair-out-of-my-head emoticon?

I was worried the hub may be damaged, but after pressing out the bearings it looks like it is largely okay.

So this morning, I found a KDX being parted out on ebay (sad thing, too, as it looked like a perfectly nice KDX out of Vancouver just being parted out...better not be stolen...that's bad Karma...but the seller 'looks' reputable) and picked up a whole rear axle assembly, CR Hi Bend bars, and a Moose skid plate that looks brand new. He also has some nice looking plastics up.

Maybe in a 2 to 3 weeks we will have a runner ready to run through the jetting guide.

So my question for today: Anyone have a kick stand for sale?

Have a good week.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

IDRIDR wrote:So my question for today: Anyone have a kick stand for sale?

:lol: :lol: :lol: that is too funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Diymirage you have a collection of KDX kickstands so why you don't sell one of your huge collection? :grin:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You generally don't want to hone a plated cylinder, just so you know.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

Postigo wrote:Diymirage you have a collection of KDX kickstands so why you don't sell one of your huge collection? :grin:

i'll sell him one allright...but it will come with a complete KDX still attached
we got a choice of green or purple, 200 or 220 :grin:

IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

bufftester wrote:You generally don't want to hone a plated cylinder, just so you know.
My local shop honed it, but just a very little touch up before the wiseco goes in. What are my risks?

Thanks.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Be carefull with your local shop the should know that honning a nicasi cylinder can damage the plating at the cylinder ports.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

I checked with them.

They touched it up with a deglazer and not a hone. I was mistaken.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

diymirage wrote:
Postigo wrote:Diymirage you have a collection of KDX kickstands so why you don't sell one of your huge collection? :grin:

i'll sell him one allright...but it will come with a complete KDX still attached
we got a choice of green or purple, 200 or 220 :grin:
I'll take the 220 in purple. May as well have two two twenties. :grin:

In all seriousness, I take it kick stands are hard to come by? Do they break, or just get thrown in the garbage?
Last edited by IDRIDR on 03:14 pm Sep 29 2014, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

IDRIDR wrote:In all seriousness, I take it kick stands are hard to come by? Do they break, or just get thrown in the garbage?
Lol...they are rare cuz DIY buys 'em up, just like Postigo snags every tank that comes up :lol:
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

No worries about gas tanks any more because finally I have the green gas tank I was looking for. Trade a kickstand for a Clarke oversized gas tank. :mrgreen:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

Postigo wrote:No worries about gas tanks any more because finally I have the green gas tank I was looking for. Trade a kickstand for a Clarke oversized gas tank. :mrgreen:

funny fact, the only KDX I have that is NOT for sale has both a kickstand AND a Clarke oversized tank

not sure why the kickstands are hard to come by, it looks like most people take them off and pitch them
not sure why

3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

diymirage wrote:
Postigo wrote:No worries about gas tanks any more because finally I have the green gas tank I was looking for. Trade a kickstand for a Clarke oversized gas tank. :mrgreen:

funny fact, the only KDX I have that is NOT for sale has both a kickstand AND a Clarke oversized tank

not sure why the kickstands are hard to come by, it looks like most people take them off and pitch them
not sure why
I am not sure either. Maybe they are loat on the trails from loose bolts?