Water pump seal & flywheel ?

Got questions? We got answers....
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Water pump seal & flywheel ?

Post by Dekon »

Let me start by giving you a little background info. I rebuilt a total roach '89. I did a top end on and replaced all the seals on the engine. Well, I finally took it out for a ride about a year after the rebuild. Well 8 1/2 miles later, I discovered the bike needed crank seals really bad. It was so bad that my friend who was following me said he could follow which trail I took by following my smoke and he was quite a ways behing me. Well today I started the tear down and was wondering if you guys would put in a new water pump seal or leave the one in there and have a spare? Also, when I took the flywheel cover off, the flywheel is totally rusted on the outside, the inside was perfect, what would you do about it? The rubber cover on the wires was allowing water in between the wires and the rubber piece on the cover.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Water pump seal & flywheel ?

Post by 6 Riders »

Well the good news is...you were WAY out in front of your friend :lol: ....As far as the water pump seals, I would (personally) replace and have a few (3) seals on hand. The fly wheel can be sanded "clean" using 220 grip sandpaper and do it again in a year or two....(or don't worry about it at all).
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type