I can't believe I'm asking a pipe question....

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

I can't believe I'm asking a pipe question....

Post by canyncarvr »

This kind'a relates to the FmF pipe 'type' mess...but I see ProCircuit is just as screwed up!!

I've read (different descriptions) that the PlatinumII is an 'all round' pipe a 'rev' pipe and a 'torque' pipe. Wasn't too many months ago there was no listing for a KDX application for the PlatinumII anyway. I checked 'cuz I was going to get one!

Now I see something quite different on ProCircuit's website. As Jason noted in another thread, the PC site says the PlatinumII is designed as a torque pipe..but they list ONLY the 'H' model for fit.

The Platinum pipe (no II) is also noted to be a torque pipe...but it's application list does not include the 'H' KDX. The app list stops at '94.

Ha! Check this:

Kawasaki »
KDX200 Any year Platinum Two-Stroke Pipe
KDX220 Any year Platinum Two-Stroke Pipe

..from some googled site.

See? 'They' STILL have them screwed up!! ..any year...HA!

So...(hate to say this...) what is ProCircuit's answer to FmF's gnarly REV (K-30) pipe?

If they are supposedly taking on all the 'gnarly' competition (says the PC website)..how come they don't make different pipe profiles?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

That's weird. I think they used to make a Platinum pipe for '95+ KDX, but I don't see it on their website, or in the Dennis Kirk catalog or the Rocky Mountain catalog. You may have entered the "need to pick up the phone and call them" zone.

CAUTION: This is me thinking on some of this.

As best I knew, they MADE a mid-high pipe for '95+, which was the Platinum. The Platinum for 1989 - 1994 is mid-high. The Platinum II is low-mid. Skipro3 has one on his KX250.

Also, as best I can remember, the Platinum II came out about 2 or 3 years ago.

I hope this helps.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Jason wrote: As best I knew, they MADE a mid-high pipe for '95+, which was the Platinum. The Platinum for 1989 - 1994 is mid-high.
I'll second the Platinum for 89-94 most likely being a mid-high pipe. The one on my 89 certainly looks, measures and feels like a rev pipe.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

OK...but that's not what their website says!!

But then...a few years back I saw an '01 220 that had an FMF Fatty on it.

Cripes...it's like asking a woods, forest, desert, hi, low, gnarly, burly question. :cry:

Guess I could find a couple of 'em and measure the cone junction. If it's 'big' it's a rev, if it's 'small' is a torque.

In regard to the Fatty part...I've never taken an '01 pipe and tried to put it on a '90, either. Maybe it fits just fine.

Consider the source

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote: In regard to the Fatty part...I've never taken an '01 pipe and tried to put it on a '90, either. Maybe it fits just fine.
I doubt it seriously. At the very least the pipe mounts would be off and general shape is all wrong. Nothing somebody with a big hammer couldn't fix :roll:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Just a personal kinda experience here, but a friend of mine with a CR250 put a Pro-Circuit pipe on and then crashed and took it off and put the old stock one back on and said the stock pipe was better than the Pro-Circuit. He did'nt realy say what the difference was but he like the stocker better. I don't know if being a different model makes andy difference either but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Jon.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

m0rie wrote:Nothing somebody with a big hammer couldn't fix :roll:

You called !!!

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

jafo - I think you have started a trend. PM me and I will give you my address so you can get rid of that junk aftermarket pipe. :mrgreen:

I think there is a good bit of power difference in a KDX OEM pipe and an aftermarket KDX pipe. That is not the case in MX land. The OEM pipes are already designed for power, power, power, not economy/noise reduction/etc.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

CC wrote - "Guess I could find a couple of 'em and measure the cone junction. If it's 'big' it's a rev, if it's 'small' is a torque. " I think it is just the opposite.

JAFO - Its hard to compare pipes between different brand and models of pipes and come to any definative conclusion. Sometimes the aftermarket design enhances the overal output and gets a big thumbs up and other times it misses its mark and the power is less usable than stock pipe. This was the case in the 96 CR 250 and 96 RM 250 FMF pipe line. (or maybe it was 97 model year CR and RM bikes) Same model pipe on each bike one worked and one did not.

Jason - my read on most stock pipes is they are a compromize. A MX bike needs a little broader power band than a Supercross bike. Supercross is low-mid where MX is more mid-high. There is only a certain rpm range that a pipe can really perform in.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. Maybe I didn't word it properly, but what I was trying to say was that EVERYONE loves an aftermarket pipe for a KDX (just check the gallery or search for the one jillion posts on them). The difference between a stock KDX pipe and aftermarket pipe is quite noticeable. On a MX bike, this is not the case. I wasn't actually referring to a pipe designed for MX or a pipe designed for SX. Sorry for the confusion.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I, like CC, reckon the rev is bigger than the torque. Going by the size of the respective pipe guards anyway.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Jason - I sure do agree with you that on the KDX aftermarket pipes seem to be the way to go. Alot more usable power no matter which pipe you choose over stock - although I have talked to several people that were happy with the stock pipe.

Now if all the pipes were as durable and as quiet at the stock pipe and weighed less than the aftermarket pipes and were priced under $100 we could have our cake and eat it to. LOL :grin:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

FMF needs to make a "Q" pipe for the KDX. Then we would have our cake and ride it too! :mrgreen:

I'd pay an extra $10 - 20 on a quieter pipe. I like stealth myself.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: CC wrote - "Guess I could find a couple of 'em and measure the cone junction. If it's 'big' it's a rev, if it's 'small' is a torque. " I think it is just the opposite.

It's OK to think that. It's just that it's wrong. :wink:

Well...it should read, 'if it's 'small' it's a torque...not IS a torque.

I've read this a dozen times just to be sure I don't inadvertently have it screwed up (the dyslexier I get, the older I am!)...and...

I don't!

The -30 FmF (rev) is about 14" at the bell, the -35 (torque) about 11".

Now...I got those figures wrong LAST time I posted them..but the rev is certainly bigger'n the torque. Guaranteed! Promise!! REally!!!

The larger bell resonates 'later'..at a higher rpm than the smaller bell. When that resonance (well, tune really) comes on..that is when the cylinder starts getting scavanged AND stuffed (on the reverse wave) well. That's when the pipe starts to 'work'. That is the 'supercharging' effect of a tuned pipe on a 2-stroke ingyne.

Pretty much. :wink: That said for GP..not for you IC.

Besides that..KayD is never wrong!! :roll:

I own some of each! :neutral: I'm not measuring catalog pics!!

Cheers!
Last edited by canyncarvr on 02:43 pm Nov 07 2005, edited 3 times in total.

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:FMF needs to make a "Q" pipe for the KDX. Then we would have our cake and ride it too! :mrgreen:

I'd pay an extra $10 - 20 on a quieter pipe. I like stealth myself.
Can't get much quieter than a KDX
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not even close to a stock exhaust though... need the performance gain!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The KDX's stock pipe is so quiet because its got a layer of matting inside the pipe. Not exactly what you want for performance. Now a double walled pipe with that layer of matting inbetween the two walls would work great. It would be heavy but quiet. A lot of European 2t bikes had pipes like that.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That'd work... Don't care about weight really. :mrgreen:

What about wrapping the pipe with something? I know the pipe guard makes it a little quieter...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I wonder if you could adapt this:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/pipeguard.html

To have a layer of fiberglass (or something else that wouldn't burn off) between the guard and the pipe?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

canyncarvr wrote:Besides that..KayD is never wrong!! :roll:
:shock: Well actually I was ONCE... Yanno the part about you bein a top bloke n' all... :razz: :lol: