What's your preferred tire?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX_Johnny

Re: What's your preferred tire?

Post by KDX_Johnny »

i bit the bullet and bought me a set of AT81s! now if only i had another $200 to drop on the TUBLISS system :lol:
Just a square trying to ram myself into that circular hole...
JasonK94Z

Post by JasonK94Z »

KDX_Johnny wrote:i bit the bullet and bought me a set of AT81s! now if only i had another $200 to drop on the TUBLISS system :lol:
You will not regret it!

They sure as hell do not pack up with mud either. The spacing between the tread blocks is big.
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

ohgood wrote:I've had a desert it on the kdx, it performed poorly.
They perform pretty bad on everything and especially a KDX.
KDX_Johnny wrote:And what is up with the new TUBLISS system? It looks great! Great reviews... But how long does it last? Do I have to pay $200 for the system every season? Every tire? Does anybody run them or have knowledge? And I'm still stuck on what tire I want :sad:
Tubliss has been around for over 5 years that I know of so not quite so new anymore! :mrgreen: Anyways, I have 2+ years on mine so far with zero problems with three sets of tires. They show slight wear from running really low pressures (5 or lower psi - tire contacting red liner) but nothing serious at all. I suspect they will last at least 5 years.
ohgood wrote:tubliss is great, do it. as long as you don't kill the high pressure tube while changing a tire , you won't have to do anything to it for years. tire changes are a bitch, but you'll get the hang of it.

oh, and 5psi in the tire means it grips EVERYTHING. yes 5psi
First half I disagree with. Changing tires now is so much easier with Tubliss. I can change one out in under 10 minutes if I really had to.

The second half, yeah, 5psi makes the tire really grip!

As for tires, I like and keep coming back to a Maxxis SI front, Maxxis IT rear (110/100-18). That is my defacto standard combo by which I judge all other tires. I still haven't found any other combo that lasts as long, is as predictable, and works pretty good (not great) about anywhere as the Maxxis combo. Currently running a Dunlop MX32 up front and the Maxxis rear. Not sold on the MX32 just yet. It's wearing pretty good but when it loses traction in a turn it goes away quick. It also sucks in sand. However, it is the first tire I have ever used that going up in pressure actually made it work better. Went from 7 up to 9, and finally to 11psi, and it got better each time. Go figure! I'll run it for now. Really thinking about trying out the Pirelli MT43 on the rear next tire change. Never done the trials tire thing so it should be interesting! If not the MT43, it will be a Pirelli MXMS.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

I put a at81 on the rear a couple weeks ago, put on almost 900km in these last 2 weeks and the thing looks new! Fast fire roads( I needed a 7th gear) for 600 km and 280 up in the mountains in Squamish , I love this tire!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

So pumped for the 81s!!!
KDXRIPPER

Post by KDXRIPPER »

I run a Bridgestone M403 Front .Michelin Cross AC10 rear 100/100/18.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

SS109 wrote:
ohgood wrote:I've had a desert it on the kdx, it performed poorly.
They perform pretty bad on everything and especially a KDX.
KDX_Johnny wrote:And what is up with the new TUBLISS system? It looks great! Great reviews... But how long does it last? Do I have to pay $200 for the system every season? Every tire? Does anybody run them or have knowledge? And I'm still stuck on what tire I want :sad:
Tubliss has been around for over 5 years that I know of so not quite so new anymore! :mrgreen: Anyways, I have 2+ years on mine so far with zero problems with three sets of tires. They show slight wear from running really low pressures (5 or lower psi - tire contacting red liner) but nothing serious at all. I suspect they will last at least 5 years.
ohgood wrote:tubliss is great, do it. as long as you don't kill the high pressure tube while changing a tire , you won't have to do anything to it for years. tire changes are a bitch, but you'll get the hang of it.

oh, and 5psi in the tire means it grips EVERYTHING. yes 5psi
First half I disagree with. Changing tires now is so much easier with Tubliss. I can change one out in under 10 minutes if I really had to.

The second half, yeah, 5psi makes the tire really grip!

As for tires, I like and keep coming back to a Maxxis SI front, Maxxis IT rear (110/100-18). That is my defacto standard combo by which I judge all other tires. I still haven't found any other combo that lasts as long, is as predictable, and works pretty good (not great) about anywhere as the Maxxis combo. Currently running a Dunlop MX32 up front and the Maxxis rear. Not sold on the MX32 just yet. It's wearing pretty good but when it loses traction in a turn it goes away quick. It also sucks in sand. However, it is the first tire I have ever used that going up in pressure actually made it work better. Went from 7 up to 9, and finally to 11psi, and it got better each time. Go figure! I'll run it for now. Really thinking about trying out the Pirelli MT43 on the rear next tire change. Never done the trials tire thing so it should be interesting! If not the MT43, it will be a Pirelli MXMS.

how are you dealing with not having a deep channel when you spoon the tire on?
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

6 Riders wrote:I've been enjoying the $h!t out of the Kenda Washougals......rear is a bike launching monster, the front....I have ONE complaint.....It grips TOO WELL.....Riding the "river rock" trails of W. WA they corner like nothing else....In the mountains I find that they climb right up the cliff side. And braking is a learning curve....these tires actually STOP...like "right now"...
Going to try the non-sticky version based on your review. Have one sitting in my basement I will spoon on this winter.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

ohgood wrote:how are you dealing with not having a deep channel when you spoon the tire on?
Lube, my friend. Lube! I use Meguiar's Natural Shine (similar to Armor-All), two short 8" spoons, and one long 24" spoon.

I start by warming the tire in the sun or some other way. Next, I lube the red liner and the rim where the bead of the tire contacts it (inside and out). Then I lube the outer and inner bead of the tire itself. I lay it on thick and wet. I start with the two short spoons to get the bead started and then lock them down under the brake rotor, sprocket, or use my leg to hold one while I hold the other with my hand. Then I slowly work (small bites) it up with the long spoon and then move each short spoon to help hold the bead in.

I hope that came out comprehensible. Maybe I'll have to do a vid of my next tire change to show how I do it
'11 GasGas EC250R
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

SS109 wrote:
ohgood wrote:how are you dealing with not having a deep channel when you spoon the tire on?
Lube, my friend. Lube! I use Meguiar's Natural Shine (similar to Armor-All), two short 8" spoons, and one long 24" spoon.

I start by warming the tire in the sun or some other way. Next, I lube the red liner and the rim where the bead of the tire contacts it (inside and out). Then I lube the outer and inner bead of the tire itself. I lay it on thick and wet. I start with the two short spoons to get the bead started and then lock them down under the brake rotor, sprocket, or use my leg to hold one while I hold the other with my hand. Then I slowly work (small bites) it up with the long spoon and then move each short spoon to help hold the bead in.

I hope that came out comprehensible. Maybe I'll have to do a vid of my next tire change to show how I do it

you're going to be a helluva lot better at it then I am!!!

two people took an hour each tire .

regular tires i can rip and stick in ten minutes or so, but without a channel, argh
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

You gotta have the liner in real loose so it can move around a bit. That helps get that last bit of bead easier.
'11 GasGas EC250R
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

do not like any of the dunlop geomax . especially for up front. 2 tires I really like are the bridgstone and michelin m3 compound x12
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

turtle wrote:
6 Riders wrote:I've been enjoying the $h!t out of the Kenda Washougals......rear is a bike launching monster, the front....I have ONE complaint.....It grips TOO WELL.....Riding the "river rock" trails of W. WA they corner like nothing else....In the mountains I find that they climb right up the cliff side. And braking is a learning curve....these tires actually STOP...like "right now"...
Going to try the non-sticky version based on your review. Have one sitting in my basement I will spoon on this winter.
The "non sticky" is what I run.....great tires so far...not sure about total wear time on these. I have run mine on the street, both my front and rear are DOT (the newer ones, only the front is DOT) and it showed wear from this pretty quickly. I now have 2 sets of wheels, one for street and one for dirt.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

tried a Shinko trials tire thus weekend, works excellent at 12psi, very very smooth at speed, and climbs like an ape. little to no wear from 30 miles of double/ single track.

$50 shipped:

but I tackled a ktm, and need New radiator now

finished the day without a leak, and checked this morning, still full!
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

$50 shipped from where? I want one.

and that radiator....try straightening that thing, you'd be surprised how flexible they are.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

newbbewb wrote:$50 shipped from where? I want one.

and that radiator....try straightening that thing, you'd be surprised how flexible they are.

motorcyclesuperstore

the rad has a mounting fin ripped off, or i would :(

ill try straightening and jbwelding it together, after the ebay set is mounted and tested water tight
JasonK94Z

Post by JasonK94Z »

ohgood wrote:

motorcyclesuperstore

ill try straightening and jbwelding it together, after the ebay set is mounted and tested water tight
Please make a posting about the eBay radiators. I've been interested in these as well.
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

JasonK94Z wrote:
ohgood wrote:

motorcyclesuperstore

Please make a posting about the eBay radiators. I've been interested in these as well.
oh I'm sorry, i misled you, this is an oem set I found on eBay.

im not above adapting some other dirt bike radiators to fit though, if need be
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

HOLY MOLY THESE AT81s RANT AND RAVE! WOOHOO! Front have me a little heart flutter when she went a little sideways in the slick stuff but it caught real quick and I kept on hauling! GREAT TIRES!
JasonK94Z

Post by JasonK94Z »

KDX_Johnny wrote:HOLY MOLY THESE AT81s RANT AND RAVE! WOOHOO! Front have me a little heart flutter when she went a little sideways in the slick stuff but it caught real quick and I kept on hauling! GREAT TIRES!
I knew you'd like them. [emoji106]

A friend of mine races a KTM 500 xcw in cross country and also the hare scramble series. He has the same tires. 34 races before he replaced them this year. He is an A rider. With rounded knobs, they still gripped like crazy!
I just installed my second set on my kdx. Road a few hours throw rock beds, roots, dirt. The nipples on the front didn't even wear off lol. The tires last forever and still hook up all the way until the knobs start to split.
2002 KDX 220R
2003 KLR 650