case help newbie in need

Got questions? We got answers....
sykesy

case help newbie in need

Post by sykesy »

hi kdx riders :prayer: iv just got myself a 91 kdx 125 road legal 1st off i noticed that the case saver looks like it has done its job and has at some point in the past had a hit from the chain and snapped leaving no mounts to attach a new one is there anyway to get around this ie getting one that mounts to a different point ? and i was changing the oil today and noticed that the drain bolt was held in by what looked to be jb weld and carnt get it very tight (weaps oil) i was under the thing and whatever bright spark had jb welded the drain bolt had also put it across the seam of the 2 casings welding them together i can probably get them apart but does this look like im going to haft to get a new case for the drain plug?

any help appreciated
Last edited by sykesy on 09:44 am Sep 20 2014, edited 2 times in total.
bbsdaddy1221

Re: case help newbie

Post by bbsdaddy1221 »

Well first off welcome to the forum and to Kdx ownership.

For the case issue, if ur handy with a die grinder you can sand that junk off if the is no chips or breaks or anything and it should come apart. It probly just started leaking and they throw whatever they had laying around on it. Next for the drain plug, you can try and pull ur plug out and grinder the extra weld off and then try a timesert kit to get you fixed up. As for ur case saver if you really don't want to get a new case I would either fab one up just do the job and mount it elsewhere or not run one at all. If you don't kind a rebiuld and are going to spit the cases you can the two half on ebay for pretty cheap
1990 KDX200 green/blue---- weekend warrior
1980 CB750c brat---- my twisty machine
2013 CRF50---- my little buddies ride
sykesy

Re: case help newbie

Post by sykesy »

thanks for reply bbsdaddy :grin: so it will be ok to run with no case saver and if i can avoid changing the case would be better will have a look into timesert kit what does the kit include? i have a friend that has recommended to chop the drain out and replace with a rubber plug what do you guys think is it a good idea or not?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: case help newbie in need

Post by bufftester »

a rubber plug is definitely not a good idea. Either a helicoil (timesert) will work, but since they both involve drilling out the hole and tapping it for the insert I'd just drill and tap to the next size up and run bolt without the insert. As for the case saver, you can run without one, but be ready to accept the risk that if you lose a chain without it you're likely to be looking for a new case anyway. You could find a competent welder to build the mounts back up, or not worry about it and put away your loose change to save for a replacement. Whichever way you go, welcome to the site. How about a couple pics? Most of us are in the states and have never seen a KDX125.
sykesy

Re: case help newbie in need

Post by sykesy »

ok thanks for reply thats what i thought i have seen the rubber insert used on cars but not on motorbikes will probably just run it as it is keep cheking oil level and if a cheap casing comes up do it properly and how do i post pics? :hmm:
bbsdaddy1221

case help newbie in need

Post by bbsdaddy1221 »

Yeah no definitely don't use a rubber plug. Time serts are different than and helicoil as a timesert is a solid steel bushing, therefor you can't not strip it nearly as easily. They come with a drill bit, tap countersink bit, and a installer and of course the sert itself
1990 KDX200 green/blue---- weekend warrior
1980 CB750c brat---- my twisty machine
2013 CRF50---- my little buddies ride