Looking to buy a 2000 KDX 200

Got questions? We got answers....
throttleout
Supporting Member

Post by throttleout »

Posted this in the intro as well.

How's it going fellas? New to the forum, and looking at getting a KDX 200. I found this site while researching these bikes.

A little about me....I'm 32. Live in Tn. I have two sons. An 8 year old who's been riding mildly since he was 4. He started on a PW50, but I just got him a Suzuki JR 80. And, I have a 4 year old who just started riding the PW50. When I first got the PW for my oldest 4 years ago I had a YZ250. That bike wasn't mild enough to ride while teaching a four year old. Plus, I was always laying it down so I could help my son pick his bike up and start. Easily could have fixed that with a kick stand but oh well. So, now I'm looking into the KDX 200. I'm wanting to start riding a lot with the family.

I think the KDX bike will fit me well once I adjust the suspension for me. I a small guy 5'5" 155 lbs. I grew up trail riding and scratching the surface of some MX. Once I got off of Honda trail bikes, I rode a CR 80. I've test rode a couple 125 mx bikes recently since I've been looking for a bike, and they are way to high strung for trail and family riding. I rode my previous yz 250 like a 4 stroke. I could lug that thing. I'm thinking the KDX 200 will be the same, but even more tame and consistent across the power band.

Ultimately, I want to do a KDX 200 hybrid KX 125.

There are two bikes I'm looking at. Both are 2000 KDX 200's

Bike 1- $1400 obo Has KX 250 forks. FMF pipe. Lots of recent maintenance, wheel and steering bearings, fork seals, carb rebuild kit, oil seal at shift shaft, throttle and clutch cables, castle rebuilt shock (set up for 220lb rider), brake pads, and he has 90% of the receipts to support this.

Bike 2- $800 firm. Fmf pipe. Basically stock. Service is unknown, but no leaks and rides good according to him.

I am on a budget. What do yo guys think? Is the KDX for me? Since I eventually want a hybrid, I'm on a budget, plus the more expensive one is set up for 220lb rider, I'm leaning towards the cheaper one.
2000 KDX 200
RB carb mod
FMF rev, power core
Race tech gold valves
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Looking to buy a 2000 KDX 200

Post by Julien D »

Welcome to KDXRIDER, glad you found us! Without seeing the two bikes it's hard to make a recommendation. From what you have said you are looking for, and what your plans are, the cheaper bike seems to be the logical choice. I removed your post from the intro forum, no need to have duplicate posts with the same info. Since you do have some specific questions, Q&A seemed to be the best place for it.

Good luck!!
J.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

welcome

two things to consider when looking at a KDXs

1 the bike did not change anything other then decals from 96-06 so when looking for one the condition is much more important then the year

2 most of the bikes you will look at ( I suspect) have craigslist adds or similar
if this is the case feel free to post a link to one or two or twelve (like this guy did, im sure the adds are expired but a lot of the insight is still valid http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... de#p116880 )

keeping in mind that you eventually want to go the hybrid route there are two options to consider
first off, all you really need is the motor so in this case the 800 dollar one would be the best bet

on the other hand, all you need is the motor AND a KX, so if you were to buy the 1400 one you could get 300 for the front forks, 100 for the rear shock and depending on condition you could sell the plastics, tank, seat and rear wheel to break even
(the 800 bike also has parts you could sell but most likely for less and no one is interested in stock forks)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
throttleout
Supporting Member

Post by throttleout »

First, thanks for the replies.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/4646059595.html
Bike has the KB30 pipe. I like all the maintenance he's done and receipts. The only thing is I'm wanting to ride this bike for a while before I do the hybrid, and this bikes suspension isn't set up for me. He does have the original spring. Not sure about the forks. Would this bike be better for me suspension wise, or the stock one?
Here's a list of receipts this guy has.

Castle rebuild of the rear shock
Carb rebuild kit
Radiator overflow bottle
Seat cover
Clutch and throttle cables
Fork guards (not mentioned in ad)
Sprockets and chain
Wheel bearings
Oil seal
Shorty gas vent (not mentioned in ad)
Tires and tubes
Rear brake pins (not mentioned in ad)

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/4670161518.html
Here's the stock bike. It does have a pipe, but not sure if it's 30 or 35. He's only had it for six months, and doesn't know anything about previous maintenance. He says it rides perfect and it's tight.

My reasoning for wanting to do the hybrid is for a weight savings, and better handling. Am I on the right track with thinking the kx125 frame will do this? Plus, a smaller feeling bike would seem to fit my small stature. Will the KX-DX hybrid have or feel like it has a shorter seat height than the KDX? I may find that the KDX stock is fine for me after riding it. I will want to do some moderate jumping.

Thanks
2000 KDX 200
RB carb mod
FMF rev, power core
Race tech gold valves
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It would be hard for me to pass up that $800 offering. If dude with the 1400 bike has the stock shock spring, you could swap that out and respring the forks, which would give it much better suspension than the stock bike.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

the $800 bike needs new fork seals (the bottom of the accordions is wet)

frame on the $1400 bike is bend (look at the angle of the rear fender, way up and to the right) and it is also missing the kickstand
on top of that the plastics look like poo on the 1400 bike but the plastics on the 800 look very nice, especially the side numberplates

as far as resale value goes, I think the 800 bike is a better investement

and I just have to wonder about how well the guy takes care of his bike considering the kickstarter, that's not a stock KDX unit is it?

not sure what bike would fit you better
the stock suspension is unbalanced on the KDX so the forks on the 800 will be close to your weight while the rear will still be too heavy
but the 1400 will be balanced for a rider 60 pounds heavier then you
neither sounds ideal but between those two I would take the 800 machine

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Good eye. Looking at pics from my phone I couldn't see much.
throttleout
Supporting Member

Post by throttleout »

Thanks for the advice and observations! I pulled the trigger on the on the stock bike. I think I got a really good deal at $760 with a helmet and stock pipe. Now, it does run rough until the throttle is half to full open. I know he put the fmf pipe on after he got the bike, and I'm not sure if he rejetted it or not. Waiting to here back from the seller. I haven't put fresh gas in it yet. The air filter is clean. I've never jetted a carb, but I'm going to attempt it following the instructions found in the newb thread. My question is do I need the special tool for the float adjustment?
Once again thanks guys!
2000 KDX 200
RB carb mod
FMF rev, power core
Race tech gold valves
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

No special tools required, just patience. Congrats, bike looks good!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

That is a good looking bike at an awesome price. Just basing it on looks, that bike would be listed at $2K in my area.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, a running a decent looking bike around here is impossible to find at that kind of price. I think you got a great deal!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

good call, that is the bike I would have choosen too

grab some fresh gas, choose your 2 stroke oil and ratio and then jet the bike properly

on a side note, if you ever decide to get rid of the kickstand...ill take it :lol:

Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Smoking deal you got. That would trade double my area (DFW). I know you are itching to modify, but my suggestion is to ride it as is (set sag of course) and then see what all you want to change after many hours under your belt. I bought my son a 2005 and aside from opening up the air box and gnarly pipe it's bone stock and a hoot to ride. In fact, I raced it in the Rattlesnake Enduro instead of my RMZ450 and had a blast. Yes the suspension was super soft for me, but well worth the weight trade off. Have fun and awesome bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
throttleout
Supporting Member

Post by throttleout »

I cleaned the carb this morning, moved the needle down, and recorded my jets. It's jetted with a 160 and a 48. After I put it back together I ended up adjusting the mixture screw out 2 turns. It runs a lot better, but it may not be perfect. Before anything under a 1/4 throttle it would run really rough. I did put some fresh gas in it as well. The bike does need wheel bearing on the front. Oh, and the bike is way to fast for the front brake. It just doesn't stop fast enough. The pads look well enough. Any ideas on the brakes?

I'm definitely gonna be setting the sag, and replacing the wheel bearings this week. This bike is tall for me. Hopefully the sag will help that. It rides just how I was wanting as far as power goes. Love it!

Sullyfam, what's the airbox mod? What's the weight trade off with the suspension. Would the MX forks be heavier?

Thanks
2000 KDX 200
RB carb mod
FMF rev, power core
Race tech gold valves
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Probably running rough down low because it is too rich; however, that is better than too lean. Check the jetting thread for the procedure. The airbox mod is either removing the airbox lid (like me) or drilling holes in the top for better airflow. Good luck with the new KDX. Welcome aboard.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Correct - removing air box lid or drill holes.

Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Setting Sag will not change bike height. However, there are a couple of options to lowering your bike. First, you could cut the foam down in your seat. If you do this I would go on eBay and find a second seat versus cutting into my only seat. Second, you can buy different length rear linkage. I think stock is 112.5 (stamped on side). You can buy it here:

http://www.carlscycle.com/catalog_produ ... _Set_.html

Or search EBay - I have seen them around. If you go the linkage route then be mindful to adjust your front forks up to compensate as well unless you favor the chopper look and handling : )

As for the brake, I would change the fluid (front and back) and see if that helps. While your at it, you might want to check to see if there is any leakage occurring either at the connections or around the piston in the caliper.

Good luck!

throttleout
Supporting Member

Post by throttleout »

Thanks Sullyfam. I'm going to shave the seat for sure. I'll see how that feels before I do anything else. I really don't want to lower it.
2000 KDX 200
RB carb mod
FMF rev, power core
Race tech gold valves