Solid Brake Rotors...

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Solid Brake Rotors...

Post by canyncarvr »

Why are these considered to be a good choice for bad conditions? I've never understood that.

After all..various grooves, holes, slots and waves are designed to clean and get water and crud out of the system...so why then is solid supposed to be the hot setup?

Thanks.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

From Enduro Engineering's site:
"With the solid rear rotor your brake pads will last up to three times longer and it also resists fading better in muddy condtions."

You can run soft pads and they last longer without each hole in the rotor introducing new grit from mud to chew away from them. I would think it would be a tradeoff with heat build up though.
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Because the mud stay and build-up in the little holes on stock rotors .sand and water makes the pads wear really fast.

Solid rotors stay clean so less abrasives between the pads and rotor!
This is my idea ,I think!

what do you think? is it a good point?
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fulltiltboogie »

I've got solid on mine and pads do last longer.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Seems to me that any 'action' that would remove bad stuff (water, sand, mud), whether it's a slot, a hole or a wave would be better than no action to do such. The resulting 'wiping' action would clean the pads AND the depressions would keep bad stuff from interfering.

If that wears pads more (and it would)...so what? Form should follow function, not the other way around. If your brakes work like they are supposed to...that the pads wear quicker than they could if your brakes did not work ...well, that's just too bad. ;)

I had solid rotors on my RDs. When they got wet you could count on not having ANY brakes until you got'em good and dried off. That of course wasn't going to happen any time real soon...not when you actually needed to S-T-O-P!! anyway.

I drilled'em full of holes..flared all of 'em, too. That was fun...some pretty dang hard metal it was!

If a selling point of a solid rotor is that pads last longer..and braking performance isn't as good...then that isn't much of a selling point.

Consider the source

fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fulltiltboogie »

Brake performance is just as good if not better..
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Uh-oh. You went to the church down the street. You switched from KX fork non-believer to solid rotor non-believer. Just try it and see. It's much cheaper than the KX fork Kommitment.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

He's also an auto clutch agnostic, Jason. I'll convert him on that someday too. Then the preaching will really begin.
I agree, just go with a solid rotor if you are need of an upgrade or replacement. I'm sure they will sell if they don't work for you, to someone here.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't ride mud a whole lot so the solid rotors are not even a consideration for me. I am satisfied with the performance of my braking system. Never a failure and pad life is fine. I suggest if you feel the same with yours CC... forget about the rotor and buy yourself a set of pads and couple of cases of beer and invite some freinds over if your wantin' to spend some money! :partyman:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I could invite all my friends...and still have the cases to myself!

You're right ski. It takes me a long time to 'see the light'. I'm a slow learner.

Consider the source