Suspension Guru needed

Got questions? We got answers....
TNKDX

Suspension Guru needed

Post by TNKDX »

Just finished my 220 build and the RB Mods are amazing but the suspension needs work. The previous owner swapped for '04 KX250F forks and for some reason added a KLX 300 swingarm. Not sure if he changed the rear shock/Linkage. I am a big guy at 275 lbs and need to have both ends re-sprung and re-valved. Any suggestions on the best source for working on strange combos like this? I am a C class rider at best and ride mostly slower in tight woods with a lot of roots and rocks.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Suspension Guru needed

Post by 6 Riders »

What part of the country are you in? Also, do you know if the KLR swingarm is actually longer than a KDX arm? Pretty sure that quite a few parts swapped over w/o mods (KLR/KDX), but that doesn't mean that they "fit".
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

mistaking klx parts for klr parts is considered blasphemy around here. :evil:

Dave Trexel(sp?) at Bent Lever in Vancouver, Wa is very tedious. (360) 260-5576. He has treated all of my riding friends as well as me real nice and backs his work up. There are many people around the states that can give props.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
TNKDX

Post by TNKDX »

6 Riders wrote:What part of the country are you in? Also, do you know if the KLR swingarm is actually longer than a KDX arm? Pretty sure that quite a few parts swapped over w/o mods (KLR/KDX), but that doesn't mean that they "fit".
I will measure the KLX swingarm and report back. I am in TN.
TNKDX

Post by TNKDX »

newbbewb wrote:mistaking klx parts for klr parts is considered blasphemy around here. :evil:

Dave Trexel(sp?) at Bent Lever in Vancouver, Wa is very tedious. (360) 260-5576. He has treated all of my riding friends as well as me real nice and backs his work up. There are many people around the states that can give props.
Thanks! Any idea what Dave charges for new springs and re-valve?
TNKDX

Post by TNKDX »

6 Riders wrote:What part of the country are you in? Also, do you know if the KLR swingarm is actually longer than a KDX arm? Pretty sure that quite a few parts swapped over w/o mods (KLR/KDX), but that doesn't mean that they "fit".
I measured the swingarm, it is 22" exactly from center of swingarm pivot point to center of rear axle.
TNKDX

Post by TNKDX »

TNKDX wrote:
I measured the swingarm, it is 22" exactly from center of swingarm pivot point to center of rear axle.
How long is the stock swingarm?
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

I really can't comment on a 275lb rider. I know for springs, valves and labor for front kx forks(for me @ 180lbs) it was $275. the rear was $150. no offense man, but springing any bike for 275# is gonna cost you, mainly because you'll need springs front AND rear. and thats not just KDX, thats for any MX or trail bike. at any rate dave could help you.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

TNKDX wrote: How long is the stock swingarm?
Have a stock one off the bike here. Looks like with min/max chain adjustment it should be 21.5-22.5", center to center.
TNKDX

Post by TNKDX »

Thanks Adam

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

LT Racing could take core of you also. You would have to ship for either of these guys to help you out.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Suspension Guru needed

Post by ICRage42 »

yea that looks like a klx swingarm. Not sure why someone would do that? Its not beefier or anything over stock? Length wise I don't think it was entirely noticeable between the two. The frame was longer on the klx I had.

Im no suspension guru in fact I think I am the guy known as anything but lol. But would not putting newer style forks be a bit longer in length. Perhaps he was trying to add length to the rear to compensate? Not sure what the intention was.

What I did with my fork swap was this. I had the sag set and measured with the stock forks. I taped off where the front tire rested and the rear and also marked with a plumb bob various spots where the bike should rest. One important spot was to remove the expansion exhaust and run the plum bob down that way. Mark it off and when you put the new forks in youll either be ahead of that tape or behind it. Adjusting the forks up into the clamp or down a bit cures this and that way your basically back to where you were at with the original setup. From there is springs and revalved but your close to tune it in.

See if you cant get someone or a shop to help you on this have a kdx besides yours and see where you need to go. I bet you that thing is hard to steer or just doesn't seem right and that is because they might of just put the forks on without little thought on this. The kdx has a shorter frame. The klx has a longer frame and so does the kxf so maybe that's where your getting the weird feeling.

Very nice bike tho btw and keep at it they are a lot of fun for sure!
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Suspension Guru needed

Post by Slick_Nick »

KLX swing arm is often swapped to get rid of the KDX kickstand mounting point.
'00 KDX 220R
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Suspension Guru needed

Post by 6 Riders »

Slick_Nick wrote:KLX swing arm is often swapped to get rid of the KDX kickstand mounting point.
That's the only reason that I could think of to do it. If it doesn't mess with the bikes geometry, then it's all good. Usually KX forks need to be lowered about 3/4 of an inch. Here is some info. http://www.lt-racing.com/html/suspensio ... onLowering
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Suspension Guru needed

Post by ICRage42 »

Slick_Nick wrote:KLX swing arm is often swapped to get rid of the KDX kickstand mounting point.

ah gotcha that makes sense. I didn't think the klx was longer but maybe a tad so thoughts that's why. Thanks for the heads up.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You are 275 or you are 275 in full riding gear with all the tools, spares, water backpack, camera, etc. that you carry?

You may be looking at .50 on the springs and 5.8 for the shock.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128