Ummmm that doesn't smell good...

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Okay guys. Let me first start off by saying I am a firefighter... I know how to decipher what is burning around me by smell... But i was riding the KDX today (doing A LOT of wheelies e.g. 1 thru 5) and when i dismounted the bike i smelled a burning smell. This is your average burning smell... Its the smell you think of when somebody asks you "do you smell something burning?" Its coming from the front of the engine. more front right than anything. Anybody have any idea? I did slip an fmf silencer on last night (not the whole pipe) (the expansion chamber goes on tomorrow! :boogie: )... but why would that start a burning smell? My guess is maybe my wheelies were too long and i started to burn up something on the inside due to lack of lubricants. But im not sure. i just heated the bike up again and putted around with it. I can still faintly smell the smell, so my guess is its going away. But i just want to check. Any thoughts guys?
Just a square trying to ram myself into that circular hole...
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Ummmm that doesn't smell good...

Post by newbbewb »

normally that smell comes from beating on a bike that has silencer packed full of old spooge. In your case, I would say it's probably the new packing.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Cool thanks! That's a relief! because the bike is running so good! :lol:
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Hey guys. Its a little cooler here today... But would that cause my bike to spit that much more spooge?! i never had it like this. its not horrible but more than id like to see. I have been running these jets for 2 weeks now and usually HAVE NOTHING but a little halo around the tip which is :supz: I swapped over to Denominator mix. would that make this change? I did just recently change my riding style due to a nice ticket as well :lol: maybe the extra is not getting burned because im not wromping on her anymore? Any thoughts?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Did you switch oil after you jetted it? If so that would account for the change in spooge amount. Also,if by a little cooler you mean more than 25 or 30 degrees that could help account for some as well.
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Really?! Oh come on. Now I have to rejet the thing again. I had it PERFECT! But it was on bad mix. Alright.... Well it's still running great. And the spooge isn't that bad at all. So if it gets real bad I'll do something about it. I'm also getting a back fire when turning off the bike today too. The bike will go dooo-doo-do-POOF!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Every engine related change you make has the potential to impact jetting.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah, that's why we always say pick an oil, pick a ratio, then stick with it. As Ted mentions, any change to intake (different filters, different reeds, carb mods), engine (new top end, port jobs) or exhaust (new pipe, silencer/spark arrestor, KIPS issues) will impact your jetting. A little back fire when shutting down isn't all that uncommon, mine will do it every now and then.