What the hell is this on my KIPS spewing out oil?

Got questions? We got answers....
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Got a new top-end done and everything seems dandy. Second gear feels a bit short but that might be a KDX thing I guess. I later noticed what looked like a leak coming from the radiator hose at the bottom of the frame, though the liquid looked more like oil. I cleaned the bike up and noticed it came back so I stopped by the mechanic who did the top-end but ater looking at it he said it was likely coming from this little nipple:

This is on the left side of the bike. They put on a tube (which makes sense) and we ran it towards the back/bottom near the shift peg with some loose tie-wraps. He said something like it might be spurting out oil when I kickstart?! Not sure I understood that.

What the hell is that and what is it for? Is it like an oil-overflow or something? This just shows how little I know about 2-strokes so please forgive my ignorance... I'd be happy knowing it isn't anything more serious but I'm baffled by what it could be.
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: What the hell is this on my KIPS spewing out oil?

Post by Gotanubike »

That's something I have never seen before. It looks like a bleeder for spooge deposit under the KIPS expansion bottle. Quite a bit of unburned fuel/oil gets collected in there but most of it gets pulled back in and pushed out the exhaust in the mid ranges of the engine rpm.

May be a feature of oil injected SR KDXs. Hard to tell by the pic, but is the bleeder attached to the removable cover or is it built into the cylinder?
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I'll double-check tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it's just on the cover. So it would help get spooge out? What for? Emissions?! How would it help? Seems like dropping spooge on the street is hardly better than letting it accumulate in one's exhaust packing from an ecological point of view. Mine was originally oil-injected, but it no longer is (previous owner removed it to put in a larger carb...WTF?) so it's a "normal" premix now. Interesting. Might make cleaning easier I guess? :lol:

This reminds me though, the bike hasn't been properly jetted yet so that's next on my list of things to do... I wish the how-to section had pics :wink:
Oh, and I've been meaning to ask: was the manual for sale here compiled by members of the site? Does it include dummy-proof pictures for a lot of stuff like that?
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

um, wait a minute. is that some kind of vacuum port for the oil injection? that should not be just vented to atmosphere.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Can you elaborate please? Are you saying thats where the oil was sucked in? Seems a bit low for that (should be on the carb?). If it's supposed to suck, why would oil he coming out?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I would block it off.
I bet it went to somethin unique to the SR version.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Definitely not something I have seen before. Must be an SR thing. I don't THINK there were any vacuum connections for the oil injection. Maybe just a vent or something? Strange though, because that resonator is open to exhaust pressure when KIPS is closed....
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Evidently an SR thing, as mentioned in this thread: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... highlight= I would think it probably had a vent hose that ran down the frame under the motor, but odd that it would be open to ambient pressure
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

from my understanding of a 2 stroke and KIPS, that cover being open would severely alter internal case volume... you don't want to go down that road unless you're messing with port timing and pipe sizes. I could be wrong here, I'm not SUPER familiar with 2 strokes yet.

my guess is that you're having a hell of a time with jetting. am I wrong?
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
squid

Post by squid »

Looks like a drain to me all of my yz 250s had one with a hose on it it would drip out fluid after a hard run
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Why don't you pull that cover off and see if there's any kind if check valve on the other side?
'00 KDX 220R
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Thanks for the responses. I'm happy I'm not the only one dumbfounded by this. I'm in Vietnam now for 2.5 weeks doing a bike trip so I'll leave it as is (with the tube going towards the back) for now. When I get back, I'll pop open that cover to see what's behind it. I doubt it would suck air in as I don't see the use of that. Maybe there's a valve and it just spouts out excess spooge or something. There's definately some oil coming out from there, but not enough (I think) to get me really worried. Looks more like oil than spooge though, I figured it was excess oil from the clutch.

And the bike hasn't been properly jetted yet. That's first thing to do when I get back.I just need to get my hands on a few spark plugs first... I only imported 3 GES8 or whatever they're called. Hopefully they're available locally.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

there is no passage between tranny and that cover, this is spooge.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Thanks!