1990 KDX200 - What to do?

Got questions? We got answers....
delta_v

Post by delta_v »

Hi all,

I've had my 90 KDX200 for the last 16 years and it's been an awesome bike. I rode it almost every week from 6th grade through high school (98 - 05), spending pretty much every Saturday and Sunday that I could on the bike. Then I went to college and had neither the time nor the money to ride it as often and so it sat around, I was only able to ride it a few times a summer. Once I graduated college and got a job, I finally had the money to ride again but by this time the bike needed some work, so I bought a bunch of parts from the local Kawasaki dealer, who was unfortunately going out of business at the time, and I planned on spending a few weekends fixing it up. Unfortunately due to life, way too many work trips, getting married, etc. that never happened. This brings me to my question, what should I do with the KDX??

At this point I have pretty much finalized on the idea that I need to get rid of the bike. There is just not enough space in my small garage to store it much longer nor enough time for me to fix it up. What would be a good price to ask for this old of a bike that currently doesn't start? It also desperately needs new tires as when I was riding it last, I either had the money for gas/mix to ride or for tires and I choose the former. However, I do have a bunch of new parts for it, including brake and clutch handles, carb kit, fuel line, spark plugs and more. Would anyone want these and other used parts from the bike? Is there any market for the bike as it is now? I'm not looking to make any money selling it, I would just like to not have to bring it to a salvage yard if anyone would want it or need the parts.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or feedback!
delta_v

1990 Kawasaki KDX200
1996 BMW R805R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1990 KDX200 - What to do?

Post by Julien D »

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you are letting go of your KDX....
If it's complete and just hasn't ran in the past few years, you may get a fair amount for it as it sits. You can also make some money back parting it out, however there is a lot of work involved in that. Possibly more than just fixing/selling. It's hard to say sight unseen from your description what it may be worth. A new buyer would probably have to consider a top and bottom end engine rebuild, as well as going through all the bearings in the wheels, swingarm, and linkage. Anywhere from $400 up I would think, depending on what bikes are going for in your area. Detailed pictures would certainly help.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

what part of MT are you from?
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
bbsdaddy1221

Post by bbsdaddy1221 »

I think a sold price sight unseen would be around $4-500. Just as it sits these engines are pretty valuable and gas tanks are to if it's in good shape. You could sell it in a couple of days at that price with those parts with it or not. Might make more selling ur new parts on here. Glad luck sir and sad to here you have to be rid of her
1990 KDX200 green/blue---- weekend warrior
1980 CB750c brat---- my twisty machine
2013 CRF50---- my little buddies ride
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

delta_v wrote:Hi all,

I've had my 90 KDX200 for the last 16 years and it's been an awesome bike. I rode it almost every week from 6th grade through high school (98 - 05), spending pretty much every Saturday and Sunday that I could on the bike. Then I went to college and had neither the time nor the money to ride it as often and so it sat around, I was only able to ride it a few times a summer. Once I graduated college and got a job, I finally had the money to ride again but by this time the bike needed some work, so I bought a bunch of parts from the local Kawasaki dealer, who was unfortunately going out of business at the time, and I planned on spending a few weekends fixing it up. Unfortunately due to life, way too many work trips, getting married, etc. that never happened. This brings me to my question, what should I do with the KDX??

At this point I have pretty much finalized on the idea that I need to get rid of the bike. There is just not enough space in my small garage to store it much longer nor enough time for me to fix it up. What would be a good price to ask for this old of a bike that currently doesn't start? It also desperately needs new tires as when I was riding it last, I either had the money for gas/mix to ride or for tires and I choose the former. However, I do have a bunch of new parts for it, including brake and clutch handles, carb kit, fuel line, spark plugs and more. Would anyone want these and other used parts from the bike? Is there any market for the bike as it is now? I'm not looking to make any money selling it, I would just like to not have to bring it to a salvage yard if anyone would want it or need the parts.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or feedback!

DO NOT SELL.

It has been YOUR bike for 16+ years, it can sit and rot off the consumables for another 2 or 3, if need be. It's very easy to replace things (cables/tires/tubes/bearings) as needed, when needed. Yes, it costs money. Yes, it takes time/energy. Yes, it will be something the new wife/kids don't understand fully, at first.

If you sell it, you'll loose the sentimental stuff that can't be replaced, and a dirt bike that is very good at doing one thing: being a dirt bike

The value of the bike as is, is very little. So little most post-college-married-guys wouldn't notice the positive towards their checking account at all. $500 is most people's car payments. Gone in 30 seconds, not missed at all.

Spending $500 on parts to make the bike ridable and FUN again would be soooo much more rewarding. You don't have to ride it every weekend to justify the expense. The only justification is enjoying it again, once in a while.

It would be so much cooler to restore the bike to it's mechanically sound condition, ride it, and enjoy it again, than to make that car payment with the procedes of the short sale.

KEEP IT

edit-

as to 'not enough space', toss a cover on it. as to 'not enough time', it's been right there for 16 years, it can wait a little more.
delta_v

Post by delta_v »

Hi again,

Sorry for the long delay in responding, I had to take a trip out to visit my wife's family and I've been trying to catch up with everything that has happened between when we left and got back.

Thanks for all of your feedback and kind words! As you all said, it's really not worth that much money at this point and I wouldn't be selling it for the money, I would only sell it to have the extra 5 x 2 ft back in my small garage and to have one more thing off the list of things that need my attention and time. I did some quick searches for new tires for it and I was surprised at how affordable they are! I'm used to the tires for my R850R and I can get a complete set of off-road tires for half the cost of the front tire in the make/model that I like for my street bike. Between that and the advice from ohgood, I think I have to spend a couple Saturdays this winter and get it running again. I should be able to make time for that. I'll keep looking through the forum for some advice on fixing it. I'm pretty comfortable fixing 2-stroke engines as I spent several summers when I was growing up fixing lawn trimmers and chain saws however I may need some help when it comes to working on the trans and clutch if that is needed.

Thanks again for the feedback!
delta_v

1990 Kawasaki KDX200
1996 BMW R805R