1981 kdx 175

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

1981 kdx 175

Post by KDXhopeful »

A dude has a totally rebuilt 1981 kdx 175 for sale and a old one for parts. 1200 bucks for both and the pics make it look awesome. Its only a 3 hour drive to check it out so I am thinking about it. Does anyone know if parts are available for this vintage a bike? And if so where?

Thanks
Pat
Whoa that was close!!! Damn kid is too fast for me to try and keep up to.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
sarrant

1981 kdx 175

Post by sarrant »

It is fully restored and comes with a parts bike, right? What's the parts issue?

If you are concerned about wear stuff like brake pads and clutch plates, those are all still available through EBC and similar.
Wiseco still makes pistons for it.
Reproduction plastic is available through DC plastics.
You can get new reproduction seat covers through DC or Ebay.
Clarke makes aftermarket standard and oversized fuel tanks for it.
Suspension seals are still available through the various suspension and parts houses.
The Mikuni round slide carb and all its components are still in production.
The swingarm bearings can be tricky for the older uni-trak system, but in the air-cooled forums they have spec'd some at bearing houses.
Wheel and stem bearings are still available through Kawasaki, and as aftermarket packages.
Engine seals are largely still available through Kawasaki, though you might have to make your own gasket here or there.
The lower end is shared with the same era KX125, so that may get you a few more parts options.
Boyesen still makes dual stage reeds for it.
I have seen reproduction graphics through a number of outlets.

I seems like the biggest parts problem for air-cooled KDXs is magnets coming unglued from the flywheel, and being difficult or expensive to rebuild or replace. Go post a bit in the air-cooled forum to see the various solutions there. Or maybe your parts bike already has a spare.
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 1981 kdx 175

Post by KDXhopeful »

Wow. Thanks for information.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
KDX Geoff
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

1981 kdx 175

Post by KDX Geoff »

l ended up getting my own decals for the tank made. Much cheaper, l can replace them regularly and l don't have to buy a set as the printer will let me buy left or right as l need.
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Hey Geoff,

Where did you get them made? they look awesome.

Pat
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Here is what he says about the bike. $1200.00 Canadian. He says he is negotible. what do you all think? The age scares me as I do not wrench. My mechanic does. Gotta say I am intrigued about it and the spare bike for parts. He has the receipt for the work done and the ownership.

"Pat, when they rebuilt the motor they installed a new sleeve in cylinder, new piston and rings, new connecting rod, bearings, and new seals. I've only rode it twice since then. No more than 2 hours. It was always stored indoors. It had not been rode more than 3 or 4 times each year. Only on trails. They both were stored properly each year. Gas drained and motor fogged. I bought one brand new from dealer and second one from a friend. They are both the same year (1981), if you came to take a look I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed. If you need any more info call me."

Last edited by KDXhopeful on 06:49 pm Sep 04 2014, edited 5 times in total.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
KDX Geoff
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX Geoff »

KDXhopeful wrote:Hey Geoff,

Where did you get them made? they look awesome.

Pat
I'm in Australia Pat :grin: and now that l can see your very nice kdx pictures, l see that you are not.

The cost of replacement decals was too high for me with a set costing $80 or so delivered.

l eventually saw a nos set on ebay and although they were past being able to be used, there were perfect to copy so l got a local signwriter to make me some. Eventually these ones will bubble (a week a month..who knows) but they're cheap enough ($20 a set) to replace whenever l want and l don't have to buy a set, l can buy left or right as l need.

l also made some for the 450 using the 175 decals as the starting point and the UV imprint on my spare tank to get the shape right. l have a FB kdx mate in the UK buying some, did you want to do that if you cant find anything better/cheaper ?

Cheers

Geoff
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

KDX Geoff wrote: Eventually these ones will bubble (a week a month..who knows)

the reason they bubble is because the plastic fuel tanks are not air tight
the plastic itself is slightly porous and it will allow a little bit of fuel to breath through the tank

these vapors will get caught under the decals (which is not porous) and cause it to bubble up

look at any late model dirtbike with a plastic gas tank and you will notice the decals are perforated to let these vapors escape

unless you can get perforated decals your best bet is to use a product like caswell epoxy gas tank sealer
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Golfballwackerguy

1981 kdx 175

Post by Golfballwackerguy »

I saw a picture that you posted on another site some time ago. You had a what looked like a garage full of tanks. Some looked similar to what I am looking for. I am needing a really nice tank for my 81 KDX250 - b1. All I have found are a really gas stained and I can't get it out. As you know, the 81 and I think 82, 250, 420 and 450 will fit. If you have anything that you would want to part with let me know. I am not trying to sell you my bike, this is the only way I can a picture of it online. Here is my bike on craigslist.

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/mcy/5532224034.html