Rear wheel hop at high speed

Got questions? We got answers....
searle7

Post by searle7 »

I recently purchased a 2002 KDX 200 with a gnarly pipe. I also made some kdx 2 lowering links for it. When I run the bike in 6th gear WOT the bike begins to shake like I am riding on rumble strips. My buddy said he saw my rear tire hopping off the asphalt.

What could cause this? Is it cause my tire is out of balance? Could my lowering link have caused this?

What do you guys think

THanks,
Flanker

Re: Rear wheel hop at high speed

Post by Flanker »

I have 98 kdx 200 same thing happens as I go above 65 or so, thought it was normal for dirt tires on asphalt. Its reving past 8000 rpm when you go that fast so I kind of like it, when it starts bouncing I know I should slow down I doubt its good to rev it that high for long periods of time.
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

Your wheels have a single bead lock each, and that's a good 6-8 oz of out-of-balance weight. Many dual sports run dual bead locks opposed from one another, or no bead lock at all. Easiest solution is to get a set of light weight bead locks (like Motion Pro) and put a few crimp-on fishing sinkers on spokes opposite the bead lock.

I once had my wheels balanced at a shop. It was comical looking back, they used crimp-on weights opposite the bead locks to get them balanced. Basically half of each wheel was little 1/2 oz weights. I say it's comical now, at the time I was furious. They wanted $180 when I went to pick them up, supposably those little weights were $9 each. I used to work at the place (and thought I got along with everyone!). Ended up removing all the weights myself and putting them back in stock, cursed out the service manager, and have never been back in 10 years now.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Rear wheel hop at high speed

Post by bufftester »

Yep, normally you don't worry about out of balance on dirt wheels because you don't run at those speeds. For desert/road it becomes an issue. As stated, you can add a second bead lock (preferable to running a single and wheel weights) or look into self-balancing solutions, basically a bunch of plastic bbs that go in the tire and find their way to the low spot (I have never tried them so can't recommend)