missing oil

Got questions? We got answers....
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

If anyone is interested on a price to get new seals put in, with the engine out of the bike and the top end taken off it cost me $100 labor for a shop to change crank, counter sproket, and shifter seals.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
meistro

Post by meistro »

I wouldnt do a thing unless I put some good long rides on your bike. I too had a low oil condition on my 2000 KDX 200. I put in a full quart at every change. The sight glass is full and then settles just a bit to show the top of the oil. Early in the summer I notice quite a drop and was concerned as you are. Every scenario was considered and in the end, I took Eric Gorrs suggestion of using ATF fluid. ATF fluid has sealers in it and if it is a small leak past the crank seals the ATF fluid might close it up. I used the ATF for high mile transmissions hoping it would have a bit more sealer in the fluid. It worked and I have not had any missing oil since. The bike flat out stomps and all my friends on their new fangled race bikes hate me...... he he he. I think its a bit of a concern for this to be happening to your much newer bike like a leaking crank seal, but I would put some high miles on it and wait and see if the oil is still dissappearing. I always check the bike right after I get off of it and then 15 or 20 mins later to let all the oil drain to the bottom. With me, so far so good.
BIGORANGEKDXRDR

Post by BIGORANGEKDXRDR »

thanks meistro for the info. how long did you run the ATF fluid in your bike before you changed back to regular oil?
meistro

Post by meistro »

I havent switched back to regular oil. I run ATF all the time now. I believe this is a common thing with KDX owners for variouse reasons. The ATF works well in my bike. If I were you I would run the ATF and monitor the oil usage over the course of several 15 to 30 mile rides.
meistro

Post by meistro »

One more thing, I put a full 1 quart in the tranny. It fills the glass and then settles with a slight gap at the top of the window. I always check fluid with the bike straight up.