Tire repair question

Got questions? We got answers....
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Tire repair question

Post by turtle »

My last ride I got a thorn through the tire and ended up with a flat. The hole in the tire isn't huge or anything, and this might be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. Is there something I can / should do to repair the tire before I put the new tube in and put it all back together?
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tire repair question

Post by 6 Riders »

Don't worry about the tire. Patch the tube with automotive patches and stuff it back in there.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Tire repair question

Post by turtle »

:supz: Thanks!
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Tire repair question

Post by diymirage »

turtle wrote:My last ride I got a thorn through the tire and ended up with a flat. The hole in the tire isn't huge or anything, and this might be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. Is there something I can / should do to repair the tire before I put the new tube in and put it all back together?

YES...pull the thorn out :lol:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Tire repair question

Post by canamfan »

I take a rag and stuff it in the tire and run it around to feel for thorns. It will snag if there is anything in there, better then using your hand, ouch!!! I have been putting tire sealant (slime) in my tubes cause I ride in a lot of hedge and locust thorns. It works well but if you need to patch your tube the slime oozing out make it difficult for the patch to stick.
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

Do patch kits work on dirt bike tubes? The only tubes I've ever tried to patch have been on bicycles. Twice I spent about the same on patches as I would have on a tube other wise trying to get it to work. I ended up buying a new tube anyway. Since I go to all the trouble to get the tube out, I'd just as soon replace it and not risk having the patch not work and tear it all apart again.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Melting the tube a bit (with extra rubber) works best, though it's not really possible "on the go".
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Tire repair question

Post by turtle »

diymirage wrote:
turtle wrote:My last ride I got a thorn through the tire and ended up with a flat. The hole in the tire isn't huge or anything, and this might be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. Is there something I can / should do to repair the tire before I put the new tube in and put it all back together?

YES...pull the thorn out :lol:
:busted: Done!
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Tire repair question

Post by kx200 »

After about the 5th patch on a tube I will spring for a new tube. Have yet to have a patch fail :shock:
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tire repair question

Post by pumpguy »

Old inner tubes are the dirt bike rider's friend. Cut them into rubber bands about 3/4" wide and use them to secure tools or spare parts like levers and such to any exposed frame tube. This trick has been used since prehistoric times.
morganid
Supporting Member

Tire repair question

Post by morganid »

pumpguy wrote:Old inner tubes are the dirt bike rider's friend. Cut them into rubber bands about 3/4" wide and use them to secure tools or spare parts like levers and such to any exposed frame tube. This trick has been used since prehistoric times.
Awesome idea. I've also heard of slicing the tube right in half long ways and tucking the new tube in side the old one an extra skin for the new tube.