Fork Springs - How To ?

Got questions? We got answers....
chippy

Fork Springs - How To ?

Post by chippy »

I have a set of Race Tech springs that I want to put in my 2006 KDX 200. (stock forks)
How difficult can I expect it to be? Is there a post somewhere that explains how to do it? Special tools involved?
I do have some mechanical ability and a good set of tools, so I would really like to do this myself.
Any advice?
Thanks,
Chippy
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Fork Springs - How To ?

Post by Gotanubike »

Should be a piece of cake, just remove the top tap and remove / disassemble the preload spacer/washer/spring assembly(all held together by a rod for 95+ conventionals) and reassemble with your new springs. No special tools required.

This might help @2:57 mark:

1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
chippy

Fork Springs - How To ?

Post by chippy »

Thanks for the info.
So if you have a way to retrieve the dampning rod, you can actually change the springs without even removing the fork tube from the triple clamp? Has anyone tried this? I am just curious. They are not hard to remove and I should probably change the oil anyway.
MikeNZ

Re: Fork Springs - How To ?

Post by MikeNZ »

yep you can do it easy no special tools and leave forks in trees but have to loosen off fork clamp bolts from memory, did mike about a year ago and im no mechanic. Use the service maual if you have one. from memory hooked a piece welding wire around the dampening rods to retrieve them. It is also possible to check fork oil without removing forks from trees also. Cheers.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

How long has it been since you changed the oil?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
chippy

Fork Springs - How To ?

Post by chippy »

Springs are in. It was actually quite easy. The fork action feels nice, but is noisy? The springs are making noise like a flock of geese! (well , not quite that bad) They seem to be rubbing somewhere. Is this normal until they get well lubricated, or wear in a bit? Did I do something wrong? It's easy enough to take apart again if I missed something, but I hate doing things twice. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Chippy
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Did you leave the 9 year old oil in there? :grin:

The outside of the springs are hitting the inside of the fork tubes. A lot of people have mentioned that over the years.
chippy

Post by chippy »

Thanks for the reply Jason.
You are correct. I did some research and the noise is a common problem. Tighten the tube to the cap seems to be the answer. I did go ahead and change the oil. It looked clean, but all of the "gunk" had settled to the bottom. It was definitely time!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Great job on changing the oil. A LOT of gunk DOES indeed settle to the bottom. :blink:

Have you had a chance to ride it yet?

What is your weight in full gear and which rate springs did you go with?

Congrats on having a 2006 KDX, by the way.
chippy

Post by chippy »

I weigh 210-215 lbs WITHOUT gear.
I used the Race Tech calculator and went by their results of .42 kg/mm.
I used Torco 5w oil and cut the spacers for 8mm of preload. I set the oil level to 4.5" from the top which is what it was at before. I am considering bumping up the rear spring rate as well.
I haven't had a chance to ride yet, the weather is not cooperating today. Maybe later this week?

She is a sweet 06 KDX200! Like new condition with an FMF Desert pipe and V-Force reeds. (and a few other goodies) I have the jetting dialed in perfect with 13x49 gearing. She RIPS ! :grin:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the info. It will be a lot better once you ride it.

Check your race sag and free sag on the spring.
MikeNZ

Post by MikeNZ »

yep I fitted .44 racetech and they were noisey as you said, I then tightened tube to cap as you mentioned and it made no noticable difference. So just went and rode what a difference, best money spent on bike to date. i believe the noise is still there to some extent after about 1 year, it just dont really notice it anymore. I weigh about same as you and fitted 5.8 to rear also made a huge difference I got the 5.8 from motor cycle wrecker for $60 from a klx300, they are direct fit as have the same rear shock but have the 5`8 spring standard where kdx is 5.0 this was also a huge improvement. I think installing correct spring ratings should be the first mod done to any KDX, there is no better bang for your buck, its a no brainer. i'm sure you will be stoked with the performance of the new springs, enjoy.
chippy

Fork Springs - How To ?

Post by chippy »

My original springs made the same noise, just not as noticeable.
I re-seated the springs, threaded the tube to the cap, then twisted the tubes a bit until they were as quiet as I could get them. Still some noise, but not so bad. I rode a bit yesterday evening and it is much better. I am going to play with the sag and see what that does. It does tend to push a bit on flat corners with the sag set light. My rear spring length is within tolerances with the sag set for me, but I still think a heavier spring would be that much better.